Can I make assignments & feedback public to all users?

Can I make assignments & feedback public to all users?

by David Leaper -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there, I've looked through the documentation for the assignment module, but cannot find any specific information on this.

What I want to do is have students submit their work privately, give them feedback, and then make all assignments and feedback public so anybody can see them.

I"m on Moodle 2.4

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Leaper

Re: Can I make assignments & feedback public to all users?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. You can't do this with the assignment module. However, if instead you get your students to upload to the Database module and you set their entries to be moderated (ie viewed by you) then  you can give them feedback and then release them with your feedback to make them publicly visible. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Leaper

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi David,

I think we need to know a little bit more about what is in the assignment before we can give a specific answer.

Having said that, I don't know off hand of anyway of making something submitted with the assignment module visible to other students. Someone else might know of a possibility, but I don't.

However, you can do what you describe with the database and forums, if you set them up correctly.

HTH,

AL

In reply to David Leaper

by David Leaper -

Thanks very much for your responses, Mary and Al.

I had no idea you could do that with the Database module - not surprising since I've never used it before! Thanks for the suggestion, it could be useful for something else I have planned.

The problem is that it requires uploading files. I'm looking for something you can just type in, like a forum in which you post a message without being able to see others messages, until the teacher chooses to make them available for viewing.

If anybody knows of an activity like that I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Best

David

In reply to David Leaper

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi David,

When designing a database,  there are different fields available, one of which is a text field so you could have students type assignments without them having to upload it.

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by David Leaper -

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've also found (thanks to a response to a similar question on the 'forums' forum) that a 'Q &A' type of forum does exactly what I want it to do!

I will follow up on your suggestion though, as it sounds interesting, and as i say, I haven't used 'database' before.

In reply to David Leaper

by Sam Mudle -

I've also found (thanks to a response to a similar question on the 'forums' forum) that a 'Q &A' type of forum does exactly what I want it to do!

Sorry for the zombie thread, but I would also love a public assignment feature rather than using a forum.

There is no way to set a due date on a forum assignment that will up in upcoming events/calendar etc.  Plus grading is not as easy in the forum as opposed to the assignment module.

So I use a the every posts a single discussion thread and use that.

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Sam Mudle -
Another way to make an assignment public is to use the Workshop module instead of the assignment.  That way you "force" students to look at other submissions and help peer review them as well.