messages - moodle 2.4.1+

messages - moodle 2.4.1+

by Sarah Jane -
Number of replies: 11

Is it possible to restrict the messages? I would like the students to only have direct contact with the teacher and not each other is this possible?

Having read many forums I see several people have had concerns in this area, can we also remove the message advance search?

Many thanks  Sarah

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarah Jane

Re: messages - moodle 2.4.1+

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sarah,

I do not know of any way to restrict messages the way you ask without recoding parts of the messaging system. Someone else may. The way I handle it is to turn off messaging entirely (site administration >advanced features > enable messaging system > remove the checkmark) and use the dialogue module instead.

The dialogue module can be setup three ways, for teacher to student, student to student, and everyone. I use the first option and it works great. There are a number of other options that can be set such as groups, restricting access, automatic deletion after closing, etc.

HTH

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Bonnie Mioduchoski -

Hi Al,

Is the dialogue module an add-on plugin? I haven't heard of it. Is it very different from message my teacher? Thanks!

In reply to Bonnie Mioduchoski

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Bonnie,

Yes, dialogue is an add-on.

AL

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Derek Chirnside -

Bonnie, you will find dialogue here.

It is quite good for what it does.  1<>1 communication with students, with quite a lot of power (eg attachments)

Unsure when it will be out for 2.5 though.

And just for the sake of completeness, ForumNG has a student<>teacher function, but it is only available up to Moodle 2.3.  https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=mod_forumng

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Bonnie Mioduchoski -

Thanks, Derek. I am looking for something that will "push" messages to the student's email. Is the messaging system set up to do this? When I asked the developer of Message My Teacher, he said since it relies on the messaging system, it was the fault of the messaging system that not all messages go through. I assume it would be the same with dialogue.

Any ideas of if the messaging system has some bugs?

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by AL Rachels -

Hi All,

The Moodle 2.4 version of Dialogue works just fine with Moodle 2.5+. Been using it ever since QA testing started on Moodle 2.5.

HTH,

AL

In reply to Sarah Jane

by Bonnie Mioduchoski -

Sarah - we use the Message My Teacher plugin and it works nicely. It can be set up so that students can only communicate with the teacher and vice versa. The only problem is that it seems not ALL messages go through to the user's or teacher's email. I tend to get most messages in my email box as well as in Moodle but sometimes not. I'm asking our developer to look at this to see if there is a way to "force" all messages to go through to email. Best of luck!

by Sarah Jane -

Bonnie this is exactly what I was looking for will get this setup right away

- many thanks

Sarah

In reply to Sarah Jane

Re: messages - moodle 2.5

by Sarah Jane -

I have uploaded the dialogue module and its exactly what we have been looking for, the challenge is it doesn't seem to be working and would appreciate any help.

As the  STUDENT, the Dialogue box looks like it works I select my teachers name in the drop down, however, when the dialogue is entered the following error comes up:

There is no one available to have a dialogue with.

The settings are everyone

and more than one dialogue it set.

Can anyone help me work out whats wrong with this please.

I have also reloaded the module just in case.

Many thanks Sarah x