Updating Course With Content Developed Off-Site

Updating Course With Content Developed Off-Site

by Jacob Rogers -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

I'm sure the answer to my query is in the documentation somewhere but I've not been able to find it.. I'd like to know the best way to integrate new content, created in an offline environment, into an existing Moodle site hosted on a server.

I've recently done a couple of migrations, involving overwriting the "moodledata" folder and backing-up and restoring the database; would this be a good approach to this problem?

Thanking you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacob Rogers

Re: Updating Course With Content Developed Off-Site

by Jacob Rogers -

Bump. Can anyone help me out here?

In reply to Jacob Rogers

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Is 'offline' defined as in a localhost Moodle used for development?

If so, one could backup courses on the localhost Moodle then restore to the online Moodle server ... assuming the 'offline' Moodle is the same version (or at least NOT less than) the online Moodle server ... and that your backup is not larger than the online Moodle server will allow for uploads.  If your localhost backups are larger than the size allowed to upload on the online Moodle server, one could setup a 'Restore' course with a file system repo.  The file system repo is accessible via FTP/SCP which wouldn't be under the PHP/Moodle restrictions as to size. All course restores are done from the Restore course to other Categories/Courses.

If I'm not understanding, please provide some more details.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Jacob Rogers -

Thanks for the assistance, Ken smile Sorry if my opening post was a bit ambiguous.

Yes indeed - by 'offline', I meant a localhost Moodle used for development.

Your solution seems fairly straightforward. In fact, I've played around with the backup/restore function within Moodle - so I'm slightly familiar with the process (I should have thought of that myself).

For completeness'-sake, would the 'migration' method (i.e. replacing the moodledata folder and restoring the database) also work? Albeit perhaps somewhat of an over-kill approach...?

In reply to Jacob Rogers

by Ken Task -

Yes, the migration method would work, but ... much more to do ... and as with anything else, the more to do the greater the chance of a 'hickup' or a 'brain cramp'.   Let's say you did that ... ok you've worked on the online version for a month or two now and decide it's 'faster' to work locally.  Download code happens once, but you need the data directory and an SQL dump of the online server (both of which have grown) to restore to your local.   Then after making changes/adding to course content, etc., one has to do the reverse ... data directory/sql dump ... shouldn't attempt overwriting (that could bite ya).

Anyway back and forth for a while and then one day you forget which is the latest and greatest creation and guess wrong (braincramp) and restored your local version (that hadn't been collecting grades nor has any student work in it) to the online version ... uploading and restoring an SQL dump *without* the data directory that goes with it can wreck a site ... maybe permanently.

Uhhhh ... hate to say it, but been there done that kinda thing.  Not fun! Have oft told folks I'm no better a techie than most ... but have learned (the hard way) what doesn't work! sad

We all, however, have the choice to pick our own methods of madness. smile

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Jacob Rogers -

He he he. Point taken! Thank you for the detailed scenario.

Another little thing.. Using the course backup/restore process, which you described in your first post, can an admin simply update the course (on the online version) from any PC, so long as they're logged in on the online version? (i.e. No direct server manipulation or configuration is necessary?)

In reply to Jacob Rogers

by Ken Task -

Once one gets a course online and students enrolled and using, wouldn't use local for anything but a 'sandbox' ... test new add-ons/plugins, test new themes, test new course layouts, and such things. 

Web server where the online Moodle is installed is accessible by not only any PC but (shudder the thought) any Mac or (better yet but with limitations) any tablet or handheld.

The only time one would mess with the server 'manipulation or configuration' (as you put it) is for an update to the version of Moodle (done often with version 2 right now) or to install that add-on/plugin you tested locally, or adding content/activity, etc. to a course.

Do, however, develop 'good' backup habits.  Backup especially before one adds that 'tested plugin/addon' and backup courses on a regular basis. Use your local as the archive and 'sandbox' to see if restore works as it should.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ken Task

by Jacob Rogers -

Marvelous. Those extra tips are also helpful. Once again, thank you very much for your help with this, Ken smile