Web Server for 100,000 users

Web Server for 100,000 users

by Nir Karniel -
Number of replies: 16

Hi everyone,

Which web server is recommended for workload of 100,000 users.

Thanks is advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nir Karniel

Re: Web Server for 100,000 users

by Isanka Wijerathne -

Its depends on your moodle version, concurrent users and course contents, ....

please provide more information about this....

we also running more than 100,000 users with fully customised moodle 1.9 

In reply to Isanka Wijerathne

by Nir Karniel -
I'm talking about concurrent users. ver 1.9. Which web server are you using, apache or something else? How much RAM memory are you using? and is it win/linux server? Thanks!
In reply to Nir Karniel

by Isanka Wijerathne -

Ohh... you are talking about 100,000 CC users? is it?

we are running only for 7500 CC users, but still we have not test it with real users. but we did some load testing.

we are using windows 2008 R2, IIS 7.5, PHP 5.3.6, MySQL But I will not recommend this also, at the moment also we are facing some issues in IIS, So i highly recommend you to stick with Linux, apache, PHP, MySQL

Server structure is quite complicated...

1 LB server, 4 web servers, 4 Nginx servers, 2 FMS servers, 2 SE servers, 6 TTS servers, 1 DB servers, and SAN storage and plus few other application servers.  RAM 16GB  per server for all servers except Nginx servers

by Nir Karniel -

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm talking about 100,000 CC users.

The 4 web servers are apache servers?

Are the 4 Nginx servers in addintion to 4 web servers? If it is, so what is the role of the 4 Nginx?

Thanks

In reply to Nir Karniel

by Isanka Wijerathne -

100,000 CC users are really big amount. 

NO, web servers running on IIS 7.5 

we are using nginx for reverse proxy. we have separate TTS and FMS servers

by Nir Karniel -

Can you give me some guidelines on how to install the Nginx reverse proxy servers, please.

In reply to Nir Karniel

by Isanka Wijerathne -

Hi Friend,

I think at the moment you need to start to design your system , not the install nginx reverse proxy, why you want to install reverse proxy ? we are not using reverse proxy to increase performance. 

100,000  CC users means, its not a small system and Im pretty sure this is a big system with more requirements. its better try to get moodle partner service. (http://moodle.com/partners/

If you really need to learn how to install Nginx, I think we should move to another forum.

by Nir Karniel -

OK, thanks a lot guys, I got the information I need for the moment.

In reply to Nir Karniel

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What do you mean by concurrent users? - do you mean that you have 100,000 users that might all access the system at some point. or do you mean you could have 100,000 users all trying to hit your server within the same 5 second window?

deciding on how to cope with 100,000 users is not really about win vs Linux or how much RAM you have on a server - it is more about the full architecture of your system and how you manage the large amount of traffic.

I'd highly suggest you contact a Moodle Partner experienced with managing large numbers of users. (I work for the Moodle Partner Catalyst IT)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nir Karniel

by Martín Langhoff -
Dan made a good point -- "how do you define your concurrency?" is a key question.

HTTP is stateless, so your users only affect the server when they "click on something". So one useful way to define "concurrent users" is to ask "how many users have hit our server in the last N minutes?".

So your goal would be to build a setup that can handle at most X users hitting during a N-minute window. As X grows or N shrinks, the complexity shoots up.

I would recommend you work with a Moodle Partner with experience in large installs -- it sounds like you will be pushing the envelope a bit, so experienced hands can help make it happen. (Disclosure: I work at Remote-Learner, worked Catalyst too! My profile page has some info on my work on scalability and performance smile )
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nir Karniel

by Matt Clarkson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

We've deployed a Moodle 2.3 instance designed to cater to 120K logged in users over a period of 20 minutes (the definition of concurrent users defined for the project).

That was built with Varnish +Nginx + php-fpm. There are some huge wins to be made by caching Moodle static content normally served up by file.php in Varnish, especially when you're dealing with media rich content like SCORM. Getting varnish do deal with access control for file.php is the trick.