General help

My Picture
Students cannot view the contents of the Folder resource

Hi again,

We use Moodle 2.3 on campus. I am using the Folder resource and uploaded files to it. When students click the folder resource, they see the following error:

Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View folder content).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Caryl Gordon

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Christian Herman
Re: Students cannot view the contents of the Folder resource
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Check the student role to ensure that mod/folder:view and mod/folder:managefiles are set to Allow.

My Picture

You are absolutely correct, Christian. Once the administrator changed this setting, we were all set. Thanks so much!

Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC

Caryl,

A Folder resource should be available to students by default.  I would check the following:

1. Click the folder settings edit (update) icon, or just click the folder link.
  2. While you are on the edit page, go to the Settings...Folder Administration block (usually on the left side), and click the Permissions link.
  3. In the Permissions list, View Folder content should include Authenticated User, or Student.  If not, add that role to the View Folder permissions list.

My Picture

Thanks for all the suggestions, Floyd! By changing the "View folder content" mod/folder:view to Allow, students could see the content.

Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC

Caryl,

As I mentioned, this should be enabled by default. Christian has a good suggestion, you should check the Student Role settings (at the admin level) and see if the Folder view is enabled.

On the other hand, you may want the default to be disabled for students and enable it on a case by case situation.

Floyd