What will Mambo do for me?

What will Mambo do for me?

by Heather P -
Number of replies: 4
I've read the forums and seen the module to integrate Mambo and Moodle autentication. I've read what Mambo can do for a web site which I believe I understood but what I don't understand is what can Mambo do for me with Moodle. Should I have installed Mambo first and then installed Moodle into Mambo rather than what I did do.

What I really want is the facility to post an announcement for a given period and then have it delete itself at the end of the period. I don't want it to be a forum or stay there forever. I just want to be able to post up a message like 'Please note college is closed on Monday' and then not have to worry about taking it down again. Mambo appears to be able to do that (as do many other content management systems) but I can't see how to mix moodle with mambo.  Please feel free to tell me I missed something obvious and that Moodle is capable of doing that already.
Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Heather P

Re: What will Mambo do for me?

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Heather,

Installing Mambo seems like overkill for that. If you're an administrator you can turn on the "Include a Topic section" in Site Settings (configuration > site settings) and put your messages there. They will appear on the front page of the site.

Ray
In reply to Heather P

by Mark Stevens -
Hi,

One way to get a message out that you won't have to change later is to post a site event into the calendar.  The block "Upcoming Events" will show the event and then it will "go away" from the Upcoming Events after the event has passed.
In reply to Heather P

by Timothy Takemoto -

You could also post the announcement as news in the forum, setting it not to allow replies or new topics by anyone other than you. Hence it would not look like a forum and to all extents and purposes it is not a forum. And if the administrators can always delete posts is on in the site settings then you can delete your post at any time later. Using the News "Forum" means that email could be sent out as well.

Mambo will do what you want but as above, overkill?

Unless you need the more advanced functions of mambo which you would not for the functionlaity you mention above) it is not necessary for users to login to the mambo system. So this means that all you need is a link from the mambo system to moodle to "integrate" the two. It also means that you can set them up in any order.

Lately I have fallen in love with MediaWiki. One only has to double click the page to edit it.

Timothy