Email setup moodle 2.5

Email setup moodle 2.5

by Adam Cripps -
Number of replies: 4

Having problems with this - the install has worked fine, apart from the part where a user can request a forgotten password email. However, I get sent on to a page where it reports the error: Error sending password change confirmation email

I have tried entering in a smtp server for a gmail account, with no success. 

Ideally, I would like to leave that field blank so that PHP hanles all the email. Am I missing something in php that needs to be installed to send email? 

The cron job is setup according to the docs. 

Any tips gratefully appreciated. 
TIA

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Cripps

Re: Email setup moodle 2.5

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Adam Cripps -

Thanks - I already tried the gmail setup with no success. The other thread recommends using critsend, which is something our admin will not tolerate. Hmm - I'll try debugging for a while and see what happens. 

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Iroshini Ratnapala -

I have also configured SMTP server for my Moodle 2.5 site and it is working fine with messaging and forum posting.  But it is not working when a user requests the forgotten password email. It gives the following error message.

Error sending password change confirmation email

Can someone help me to solve this issue?

Thanks

In reply to Iroshini Ratnapala

by John Andrewartha -

If you are using Debian or Ubunto as the server, it may be caused by the smtp. If I remember by default php looks for Sendmail which is not installed by default.

From a cli type sendmail -v if installed it should respond.  If not aptitude install sendmail  to install.

I assume you have superuser privilages "root"