Certificate Issue Date Does not Update

Certificate Issue Date Does not Update

by David Broadlick -
Number of replies: 16

Hello everyone. I am using moodle 2.41 and my certificate module version is 2013021200. My set up is very simple. Users take courses and get a certificate at the end of the course. What I want is that for each time they take the course the certificate date will be updated and show up on the certificate. This date update does not seem to ever happen in the database tables certificate_issues or course_modules_completion, the entire course is basically just one quiz so that is why i pay attention to that table. I do not save certificates as well. Has anyone had this issue and could help me out. Thanks everyone!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Broadlick

Re: Certificate Issue Date Does not Update

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi David,

There should only ever be one certificate that is issued. Think of it like a degree rewarded by a University. You do not reissue this every time the user wishes to view it. Originally the certificate_issues table was updated every time the user viewed the certificate, but this logic was changed so that it is only ever done once. I am still not too sure about your scenario. The user completes the course, gets the certificate, and then they retake the course to obtain this certificate again? If you could clarify I may be able to assist more.

Regards,

Mark

In reply to Mark Nelson

by David Broadlick -

Thank you for your response Mark. How our set up is is that when a person takes the course then they get a updated certificate. The course is basically just a quiz. The course might be taken one year and then again the next year, but the course will never actually change so we do not want to re-create the course every year. Any idea how I might do this. I could update the table myself but I would not know how to detect this. Thanks again so much for your response.

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What date would you like to display on the certificate? You could display the current date on the certificate, which is what happened when the issues table was updated when the user viewed the certificate. If this is what you are after, what date format would you like (see the date formats listed in the certificate settings page).

In reply to Mark Nelson

by David Broadlick -

What I would like is to be able to reissue certificates, and thereby change their issue date, whenever the user passes a certain quiz. This quiz can be taken any number of times and I would like the certificate to always update to the latest completion of the quiz. Doable? Thanks so much for your help on this issue.

by Mark Nelson -

Hi David,

Have you tried setting the certificate setting 'Print Date' to the name of the quiz?

Regards,

Mark

In reply to Mark Nelson

by David Broadlick -

Yes I have tried that and that gave me the idea to try an track down where the certificate is getting its date. It appears to be in the grades_grades table. This table is not updated with subsequent equal scores. So when my users are getting another 100 on the same quiz moodle is not updating that table and therefore the issue date for the certificate is not changing. At least I think this is what is happening. Thanks for your help. 

by Mark Nelson -

Hi David,

You are correct, the function certificate_get_mod_grade is called, which uses grade_get_grades to return the grade item, which then calls get_dategraded(). So, this really isn't an issue with the certificate, but with how the date is being calculated. If you were to change the setting 'Grading method' in the quiz to 'Last attempt' the date might possibly update - I am not too sure without going further into the code.

Regards,

Mark

In reply to Mark Nelson

by David Broadlick -

Thanks a lot for the advice Mark. I really thought that would work. It really should update grade_grades with the setting "last completed attempt" but it does not seem to be. 

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Kate Rhodes -

Hi Mark and David!

I'm in the same boat as David - I have a course that needs to be taken one a year (it's a safety refresher course). So users need to be able to come back to the course every year retake the training. They need to have an updated certificate that proves they took the training again.

Do you know if I set the 'unenrol' on the course to say 300 days after they took the training, if that would delete the old certificate record? If so that may work...since the record would be there for almost a year before they need to take the training again....

Thanks for this thread!

Kate

In reply to Kate Rhodes

by Dave Fisher -

Kate... did you ever find a suitable resolution to your date issue? I have the same situation where there are several courses that need to be taken annually and need to have updated certificates issued. Looking at this thread, I see that Mark mentioned that the ability to see prior certificates and reissue certificates was written out of the certificate plugin a while back.

I'd like to come up with a way to make this, I'm hoping you have some insight on a solution.

Thanks.

Dave

In reply to Dave Fisher

by Kate Rhodes -

Hi, no I haven't yet... I've been un-enrolling users from courses (which deletes everything, which I don't like) so they can go back in and take the training again with a new certificate issued.

The thread you are asking about is the last I've heard anything and I had to put it on the back burner for now.

Sorry!

In reply to Kate Rhodes

by Dave Fisher -

I have been testing out a newer certificate plugin called Simple Certificate. It's based on Mark's certificate plugin, but appears to take its date from somewhere else. I have taken a course on one day and printed/emailed a certificate to myself with that days date, then take the course on a later day and get an updated date on the certificate that reflects that most recent attempt. I have grading on the activity set to Last Attempt too.

I hope that helps you. I think it might solve my reissue problem.

Dave

In reply to Dave Fisher

by Kate Rhodes -

Ah great! I have seen that certificate plugin, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. That does sound like a solution... thank you. I'll try it out as well and let you know how it goes too.

Thank you Dave!

In reply to Kate Rhodes

by Dave Fisher -

Update... the Simple Certificate doesn't pull the grade date from a different area. It didn't solve my issue. It behaves the same as the original Certificate.

I did however find that if you delete the SCORM attempts for the activity that the Certificate is assigned to, when the student completes that SCORM activity again and then gets a certificate, the proper date and grade show up on the certificate.

Dave

In reply to Dave Fisher

by ravi Kumar -
Is that possible to print system local time of user on certificate rather server?
In reply to Kate Rhodes

by ravi Kumar -
Hi Kate,

I got something  interesting in your suggestion to David, could you please steps me out that, how you delete the record through un-enrolling the students. Actually , i want same things, that is i don't want to see the old grades/records of a students, when i un-enroll  the students from a course., and than if I re-enroll same student to same course than their old records/reports/grades should disappear. Please through your light on my point