Insert into log failed at your moodle site- error

Insert into log failed at your moodle site- error

by Melissa Benson -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all, I'm an admin for a Moodle site on a shared server. We're still running Moodle 1.9. I recently got a bunch of these emails sent to me about a week ago:

"Insert into log table failed at Thursday 16th of May 2013 06:12:29 PM.
 It is possible that your disk is full.

The failed SQL is:

INSERT INTO mdl_log (time, userid, course, ip, module, cmid, action, url, info)
        VALUES ('1368753149', '24', '1', '75.72.46.190', 'course', '0', 'view', 'view.php?id=1', '1')"

I had the hosting company run a scan on the database and made sure nothing was corrupted. Seemed fine for about a week and now I'm getting those emails again. They seem to come overnight (a dozen of them).

Any idea on what this means? Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melissa Benson

Re: Insert into log failed at your moodle site- error

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Tables might not be corrupted, but this says it all, I think:

"It is possible that your disk is full."

On shared systems hosting provider could have caps on size of DB.  OR, if they don't, you might happen to be on a shared system where another customer is using more than their fair share of DB resources.

Hosting provider systems typically use dedicated backended servers for DB.  So it might indeed be true and you didn't ask the right question (happens!).

So, what to do about it depends, I would think ... turn off things in the Moodle that add to the DB ... sessions (use files based instead of DB), statistics (reduce the number of days for stats). 

The specific instance referred in the error: in Site Admin, Server, Clean up set Keep logs for 35 days.

Hopefully, that will free up some precious DB space.

Highly recommend you do a complete backup of your site including an SQL dump for archiving.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Melissa Benson

by Rob Johnson -

I get these message from time to time.  I am not on shared hosting and my disk is not full.  It seems to happen when the server is running stats or backing up the database.  The disk is busy at those times is all I can think of.  I cannot find anything in the error log that helps.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Melissa Benson -

Thanks guys, I will give your suggestions a try!