Importing grades into Moodle from another LMS

Re: Importing grades into Moodle from another LMS

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In Moodle, there is a gradebook for each course. If you have a course in another system, and no corresponding place in Moodle, then just create an empty Moodle course, so that you have a corresponding gradebook.

A Moodle gradebook is basically a spreadsheet with one row for each student, and one column for each graded activity. Those columns may relate to a Moodle activity, like an assignment. You can also add extra custom columns.

You can import grades into the grade book in a range of formats, the simplest of which is a CSV file. That is probably the way to get grades from your other system.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Chris Barton -

Thanks Tim, 

So I can simply create a empty course to generate a corresponding gradebook and simply dump data into that .. easy enough.  I think in the interim i'll likely get the admin to import CSV data but in the long run I would like to create a plugin that pulls in the data from a web service and inserts into gradebook and run that as a CRON job on the server

In reply to Chris Barton

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can easily write a plugin that does that. Indeed, we have done so at the OU, but it is rather specific to the other systems we connect to, which is why we have never shared the code.