Confusion about Groups and Groupings

Confusion about Groups and Groupings

by Warren Linds -
Number of replies: 4

Hi. In my course, assignment 1 is posted for different groups on different dates. So Group A does the assignment in Week four; Group B Week five, etc.

S|o I have to set up separate groups. How can I do this in one easy step because now I have to set up Groups, then I have to set up the same groups with the same student participants in Groupings.

Is there a way to set up a group in one step rather than two or three? Thanks.

Moodle 2.3

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Warren Linds

Re: Confusion about Groups and Groupings

by Rob Woof -

Hi Warren,

It looks like you might be a little confused about Groups and Groupings. The first step to understand is: Students (and other participants) go into Groups; Groups go into Groupings.

The idea is that within a class, you might group the students by one scheme for one activity, and group them another way for a different activity. For example, in the Theological College where I work, we have a Grouping for Exegeticals, where students are allocated to tutorial groups randomly, and another Grouping for the essay, where the students are allocated by which question they chose for the essay. this is for the sake of marking - the group tutors mark the exegeticals for the group they will meet with in the tutorial session, and the essay marking is more consistent because all of the attempts at each question are grouped together. The Essay Grouping contains Groups for Question 1, Question 2... and so on. The Exegetical Grouping contains Groups for Group A, Group B, etc.

So you create the Groups, and put the students into them. Then you create a Grouping, and put the Groups into the Grouping.

If you only need one Grouping (i.e. the students are in the same Groups for everything), then the Grouping is unnecessary. You can just set the Assignment to "Separate Groups" and enter nothing in the Grouping setting.

HTH

Rob

In reply to Rob Woof

by Bob Puffer -

Just a plug -- CLAMP's LAE version of Moodle provides for auto-creation of groupings any time groups are created.  Tried getting it into core but some people want groupings to essentially go away.

In reply to Warren Linds

by Gary Sutcliff -

You may well want to test this before you actually do it.  I have a colleague in another university working on 2.2.4 (?) who tried it.  Somehow, he attempted to use groups and groupings it ended up not showing grades to the students for those two assignments.  The grades were there for his grade book and calculated in the total but not shown to the students.  No matter what he did, it never worked properly and for a few students he could never convince them.

Students that that were not getting the grades they wanted took it to task.  They squawked over and over again and accused Moodle to being totally faulty and unreliable. He was ready for parents to start calling him.

To this day, he never figured out what happened. He doesn't know if it was a bug or something he did wrong.  The term is over and hopefully the rumors will go away.

All I can say is talk about it and test it.  maybe someone here can explain what happened or might be able to help you avoid the problem.  Maybe it will never happen again.

Personally, although I am working on a different version, I am not going to touch groups and groupings until I see it working correctly on some other system first.

Stung once, Forever cautious.

In reply to Gary Sutcliff

by Derek Chirnside -

Gary, this is a little bit of FUD sowing.

Groups and Groupings, in Moodle, for this purpose described, do work - if they are set up right.

You are right of course in your advice to Warren about testing.  Have a genuine dummy student.  Leave a bit of lead time.  

-Derek