Transfer content from 1.9.5 to 2.5

Transfer content from 1.9.5 to 2.5

by Frank Ryan -
Number of replies: 4

I have been quoted an exorbitant price to upgrade from 1.9.5 to 2.5. I am particularly interested in Mozilla Open Badges which, I understand 2.5 supports (do previous versions?)

In any case due to financial reasons and because the content of the site is relatively small I am toying with the idea of downloading 2.5 and starting from scratch i.e. download 2.5, transfer the content that is currently on 1.9.5 onto it and use 2.5 in the future. Is this possible, and is it possible without hours of painstaking work? If there is an easier and cost effective way of doing what I want to do I would be grateful to hear it. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Ryan

Re: Transfer content from 1.9.5 to 2.5

by Matthew Orlando -

If you're going to do the work yourself, why not just follow the upgrade path from 1.9.5 -> 2.2 -> 2.5?  If you don't have much content the upgrade process shouldn't take more than a few hours.  Just make sure you make backups of your database, content folder, and moodle folders.

In reply to Matthew Orlando

by Frank Ryan -

Thanks Matthew, I guess the answer is a combination of inexperience and lack of confidence! It's a pretty big task for someone who has never done it before and there is a lot at stake if something went wrong. It's definitely an option though.

In reply to Frank Ryan

by Shawn LoPorto -

I went through this process, documented the process for myself to use during this process because you have to repeat it at the various major version jumps, and then created a post to share with others since I couldn't find documented steps either (at the time 2.4.1 was the latest version so that's where the notes end).  You can read the post at the link below.  It's work but I think it is a better option than having to recreate classes from scratch.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=224561

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shawn LoPorto

by Frank Ryan -

That is very helpful Shawn. Thank you and well done.