'Sticky' Feedback activity

'Sticky' Feedback activity

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Is there any way to make an activity (feedback) appear on each course page in the same way as we can for blocks?

To put this into context: I have been asked to add a standard course evaluation to each moodle course on our system (currently around 1000). It needs to be individual course based rather than one central feedback activity that the students are linked to. I am aware of the share-cart plugin and the feedback templates, but these rely on going to each module to add the feedback activity there.

I have set up templates that include a feedback activity for new courses being created, but I need to add the activity to existing courses.

Many thanks

Richard

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: 'Sticky' Feedback activity

by Richard Oelmann -

OK To answer my own question - activating the feedback block and applying it as a 'sticky' block in each course, then adding the feedback to the frontpage works just fine. You can then filter the results by course when looking at them.

I obviously missed something in the docs! smile

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hmm... it's there but not very well highlighted ; on the "to do " list I think. I see you have been "rubber ducking" Richardsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard Oelmann -

Indeed smile

Its functionality I knew I couldn't be the first to be looking for, so when I couldn't find it I assumed I had missed something and went playing as well as asking!

In my case it was my lack of understanding that the sitewide feedbacks that you can add to the front page could in fact be reported on at a course level with the filters, not just as a single whole site feedback form. Every time I've used them previously it has been on a single course instance rather than the concept of a shared one across the site. It was talking my way through setting up a trial one and stepping through that which helped me find the solution - woods and trees come to mind lol!!!

But yes, rubber-ducking is a very useful tool in my armoury!!! Although there are times when I think it might be more useful if I could get the rubber duck to explain certain things to me :D

The original requirement has come from our university merger and looking for an existing built in functionality in Moodle to replicate the external links that the other part of the university use between their Blackboard and QuestionMarkPerception forms for this purpose. I may still have to create the links to the external tools, but I wanted (for my own benefit as well as the student/teacher experience) to know how it could be done, simply (rather than my laborious workarounds that would have taken a couple of days of time!) and within Moodle without the need for external tools.

Richard

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Mary - I've just added a minor edit about the feedback block relating to global feedbacks on the Feedback Settings docs page - from what I did last night the Feedback block only shows the global feedbacks relevant to that course (all of the global ones that are not mapped to any other course instead) and not the feedbacks set up on the course itself. Is that the expected behaviour? 

I couldn't see a doc for the Feedback Block - presumably because its normally hidden by default and I wasn't sure how to create a new one smile

by shivram gawde -

How can add one feeback to all the courses

In reply to shivram gawde

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

For an activity, you can copy and restore to each course or create in one course and then import it to all of the other courses.  The sharing cart plugin makes this very easy.

by Carlos Ruiz -

Thank you so much!!! That's exactly what I'm looking for. But I have a problem; when a user tries to access the Feedback inside a course it says that the activity is "hidden". Is there any step in the procedure I have missed?

I kind a solve the problem by assinging the student role to all my users in the frontpage Feedback. Is it the right way to do it?

Best regards

In reply to Carlos Ruiz

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Carlos,

how do you try to access the feedback? Do you use the feedback-block for that? You have to use this block for access. A simple link to the feedback will not work.
You have to be aware that users who access the feedback on the frontpage that normally do as "Authenticated user". But per default this role has no permissions to fill a feedback on the frontpage.
You have to go into the feedback and than to "Permissions". There you have to give the following permissions to the authenticated user role:
"Complete a feedback" and "View a feedback".
In a standard configured moodle system this configuration work.

Best regards
Andreas
In reply to Andreas Grabs

by Carlos Ruiz -

Thank you very much!!! 

I do use a feedback block to access the survey. But I missed the step you just mentioned: I didn't set the permissions to the front page feedback. I'll try it right away and let you know the result. 

Thanks again