new feature submiting.

new feature submiting.

by Maria Kyprianou -
Number of replies: 14

Hello! I want to know if there is any guide for submiting a new feature to moodle instead of this doc: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Process

Thanks in advance smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maria Kyprianou

Re: new feature submiting.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
What about the "Future major features" forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=8052 ?

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: new feature submitting

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The future major features forum is actually for collaborating on specifications for major new features and NOT for suggesting new features.

As explained in the guide which Davo mentions, it's best to first search to see whether someone else has had the same idea, and then, if necessary, create an issue for it in the Moodle tracker.

In reply to Helen Foster

Oh yes, the name says everything: The new feature is a) major b) future!

Definitely not something for every Tom, Dick and Harry.
;-D

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

OK, to keep the forum name short, they left off the bit that says "Development of ..." (and does not say ("Suggested ...")

In reply to Tim Hunt

Yep. Some save energy, others save CPU cylces, yet others save w....

Well, there are various levels of wording:

Name: Future major features

Short description: "For for collaborating on specifications for major new features." https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=8052

Long description: "This forum is for collaborating on specifications for major new features. Let's aim for one discussion per feature, based on a detailed spec in the developer docs.

Note: This forum is NOT for suggesting new features. Please use the Moodle Tracker for all improvement and feature requests." https://moodle.org/mod/forum/post.php?forum=1161

The forum "Future major features" is "NOT for suggesting new features". Anybody gets that logic?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You seem to be repeating a question that has already been answered, but yes the forum is for discussing the details of new features that have already been proposed and agreed to be included, in some form, in future versions of Moodle.

Having it as a general discussion area for any features that someone might want would mean that the important discussion about features under development would get lost, as well as potentially good suggestions also getting lost.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Maria Kyprianou -

Hello! It has been days since I checked for answers. Thank's all of you. 

I'm still a little confused. 

My thesis was about creating two features. I want to submit the one of them. When I started I used the following link to get the moodle code. https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/ide/git.html (I' m using netbeans 7.2)

Now, I don't know all the process to submit my code. Especially because are some rows in 3 files. 

Every help is appreciated. 

Thanks in advance! 

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There is a big difference between submitting code for a plugin and code that is targeted at core Moodle. I only have experience with plugin code so I will describe that.

I had an idea and I posted a question in a forum to see if other people thought it was a good idea. I then developed some code  (a question type) and uploaded it to Github. Once I had tested it myself and some other people gave me feedback I submitted it for the plugins database.

There was a delay of some weeks as there was a queue of projects and then it was checked in various ways and accepted.

Getting code into core Moodle is more involved as it will go out to more people and has more dependencies etc.

I did not understand your comment about rows in 3 files.

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If it is a core code change, then the best way to understand exactly how to submit a patch for possible inclusion is to read through this presentation:

http://www.slideshare.net/poltawski/how-to-guarantee-your-change-is-integrated-to-moodle-core

(because it saves anyone typing out all that information into this forum).

If you still have specific questions after reading through that, then feel free to ask away.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Maria Kyprianou -

Thank you very much!! smile  I read the slideshow. If I understand well I have to do the following:

1) make a branch for my new code. 

2) suggest the improvement on tracker. 

3) check my code with codechecker or moodlecheck 

4) submit my code 

I didn't have any clear answer (in tracker) for my suggestion, but I completed the code for that. 

Is that ok?

Also, the four steps I understand that I have to do it's ok?

Thanks in advance. 

by Davo Smith -

The normal order would be:

1. Suggest the improvement on tracker (and post into forums to try and get some interest in it)

2. Make a branch for the code, following the coding guidelines and checking with codechecker

3. Publish your branch to somewhere (usually github)

4. Add the details of the branch to the tracker issue (initially you will only be able to add as a comment, once you have a few patches submitted, you will be able to move up to 'developer' status, whereby you can claim issues for yourself, directly add the patch details and then submit for peer review).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)