Incorrect Headings from Grade Book when downloaded to Excel

Incorrect Headings from Grade Book when downloaded to Excel

by Warren Linds -
Number of replies: 6

Hi. I posted this earlier and never received a response so am posting again.

When I download the grade book to Excel the headings for each assignment are listed as Àssignment Reflection One, Assignment Reflection Two, Assignment Final Paper, etc.  In Excel there is only room for one word at the top of each column so each assignment is then listed as Assignment and I have to go into each Assignment and retitle them in Excel for the correct title.

There are correct titles in the Grade book. ie. Reflection One, Reflection Two, Final Paper, etc. How can I get these correct titles to be the ones I see in Excel automatically. Is there some setting in the GradeBook of Moodle or Moodle itself that I should be tweaking.

This was very frustrating this year as it added much work since the order of Assignments in Excel also didnt conform to the order of my assignments in my course.

Thank you

In reply to Warren Linds

Re: Incorrect Headings from Grade Book when downloaded to Excel

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The full titles are there - you just need to widen your columns to see them.  Just select all the columns, then double click on a line between the columns and they will all expand out.  Moodle just adds the assignment type at the beginning of the title.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Warren Linds -

But I don't want the word "Assignment" in the downloaded columns. How do I eliminate that in moodle as a default?

In reply to Warren Linds

by Paula Clough -

Warren,

In Excel, click on the row with the Assignment titles so that the entire row is highlighted, then right click, go to format cells.  go to the Alignment tab, go to Text control and check the Wrap text box and click OK to save the changes. This should allow your complete titles to show.  

The download puts Assignment in front of the assignment names is helpful if there are other lessons or database or forums or glossaries, etc. that might have similar names.  Because they have Assignment with a :, you could always quickly easily do a find a replace if they really bug you.

Paula  cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Paula Clough -

Sorry, I only saw the first post before I posted.  Something must have happened with my browser.  

Warren,  I would be careful changing this unless you are the only teacher using this Moodle site.  After working 8 years with Moodlers, you might be surprised how people will name their different activities

In reply to Paula Clough

by Warren Linds -

Thanks. Odd that Assignment is not a catchall. All things that are marked in the grade book are Assignments. Even if youi are marking a Database or Blog it is an Assingment in a course.

The people who program moodle should realize the naming that professors use and give us an option to use that naming, rather than thinking from a programmer's perspective. There is the same issue with the Send Option box. They took it away from 2.3 without really thinking of the implciations for professors.