Upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3

Upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3

by Justin Litalien -
Number of replies: 4

Hi folks, our campus recently upgraded 2.2.9 (20130328) to 2.3.7 (20130513) without updating any plugins first. I just noticed the message in your plugin page that users should upgrade to the latest Questionnaire build before going to 2.3.

"NOTE: If you are upgrading to Moodle 2.3, make sure you have upgraded the questionnaire module to the latest version of Moodle 2.2, in your Moodle 2.2 codebase before upgrading to Moodle 2.3." (https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_questionnaire)

Our latest Questionnaire update is at 2010110101 (last updated a year or so ago). What's going to happen if the plugin isn't at 2011110101? Is this a major issue?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Litalien

Re: Upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Justin,

Sorry I don't know much about the upgrading process. I hope my co-maintainer, Mike will be able to answer your query any time soon.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Justin Litalien -

Thanks Joseph, do you regularly connect with Mike at all? Perhaps you could send this his way? If not, could you offer up a better way to reach him?

I appreciate it, thanks!

In reply to Justin Litalien

by Jenny Gray -

Hi Justin,

Here at the OU we usually upgrade the plug-ins and core code simultaneously at least on our live system.

There's often a period of time on our development and test systems when the core code has moved up a version and the plug-ins have not been updated to match.  This is the sort of situation your campus is in with the questionnaire module, if I understand you correctly.  It isn't dreadful for the stability of the whole system but there are probably a few bugs in your questionnaires that might make them unusable.

You will need to upgrade your questionnaire module as soon as possible.

I think what this line in the plug-ins database is trying to say is that you can't upgrade Questionnaire from 2.1(which you are currently running I think by the version number you quoted) to 2.3 in one step.  You must upgrade to the 2.2.4 package (2011110101) and then from there you can upgrade to the 2.3.4 package (2013051901).

The reason for this is that the older upgrade steps have been removed from the script to keep it manageable.  An error will occur during the upgrade process if you do not install 2.2.4 before installing 2.3.4.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)