Quiz

Dr. Greg Waddell
Q re: the "Return to Attempt" button

Hi,

I have created a non-graded quiz to use with my students as a learning experience. The quiz has only questions of the matching type. I have set it up so that the number of times a student can retake the test in unlimited.

When I try out the quiz in the role of a student, I get to the end of the quiz -- to the page that has a summary of my attempt -- and I see two buttons:

Return to attempt, and

Submit all and finish.

When I click "Return to attempt." I would expect to be able to return to my erroneous answers and give them another try. Instead, what I get is a view of the question, with my answers all viewable but disabled so I cannot change them.

When I click "Submit all and finish," I am then permitted to go back and retake the entire quiz.

Is this behavior intended to work this way? If so, then why is the first botton called "Return to attempt"?

Do I need to change something?

Thanks,

Greg

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Q re: the "Return to Attempt" button
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

That is the intended behaviour. The summary page is a place for the students to review that they have answered all the questions before they click Submit all and finish. You have to finish one attempt before you are allowed to start a second one.

They can, of course, return to questions they have got wrong (if you are using something like adaptive behaviour) by clicking on the link to a specific question number. (What behaviour are you using?)

Dr. Greg Waddell

I am using the quiz to teach the concepts, so I set "attempts allowed" to unlimited. I set the question behavior to "immediate feedback." 

The reason I asked this question was I asked my wife to take the test and when she got to the end of it, she interpreted that button to say that she could go back and re-attempt her wrong answers. So, she was stumped by the language of the button. She interpreted "return to attempt" as saying, go back and try again. 

I can see why some confusion might arise in your particular case. (Also, for what it is worth, I think what you are doing is a good use of the quiz.)

However, what I can't currently see is a way to change things that makes them better in your case, without making it worse in other cases.

I can't help thinking that the path of least resistance at the moment is for your to make sure your students understand which button to press. (However, I also feel that students should not require instructions to attempt a quiz, it should be obvious.)

Constructive suggestions for making the UI clearer welcome, but they have to work for all behaviours.

Picture of Angela Arkinstall

Here is a screen shot of what my students get when they click on return to quiz (even with multiple tried and adaptive mode - no penalties set):

They can't navigate to the incorrect questions - or do anything for that matter. Which makes the return to quiz button ambiguous.

Picture of Emma Richardson
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think the return to quiz button is designed to take them back to where they got to in the quiz.  You need to set the number of attempts allowed to more than one for them to be able to retake it or in adaptive mode, make sure that your questions have hints - each hint gives them another chance to take the question.

Have you set Navigation method to 'Sequential' rather than 'Free'? If so, it is working exactly the way you told it to.

Picture of Judy Hsu

Hi Tim where can I find that quiz Navigation method setting in Moodle 2.4.x?

Also, at the "Summary of attempt" page (at the end of taking the quiz), if I don't want students to have capability to GO BACK to the quiz again and change their answers, is there a way that I can hide the "Return to attempt" button? Thanks for your help...

http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Quiz_settings#Layout - In navigation is sequential, students can't go back and change their answers.

Picture of Angela Arkinstall

I am having the same problem in all our courses. I have set the quiz to adaptive mode no penalties, yet when the student selects 'return to quiz' they cannot navigate directly to the incorrect questions and correct them. In fact, it takes them to the last question only. Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this is fast becoming a big issue for us.