[Moodle 2.4] How to clear out old grades?

[Moodle 2.4] How to clear out old grades?

by Aaron Batty -
Number of replies: 9

Hi folks.

This is my first semester with Moodle 2.4 (was using 2.1 before), and I checked the box for restoring student grades if they re-enrolled, in case they were accidentally removed, etc.

I did not realize that this setting would persist even after doing a course reset.

I now have a student who is re-taking one of my courses (it's the kind of course you can re-take because it's different each time), but he already has grades for all the assignments.

I did a reset again, just of the assignments, before any of them were due. This seemed to blow out his old grades.

However, today, we had our first assignment due, and sure enough, even though his essay file is brand-new from today, it is already showing up as graded, with the grade for this assignment from last semester.

How do I get around this? I'm worried especially about other teachers who may be seeing this behavior, but don't understand it, because I'm the Moodle admin, and only I know about this setting...

I'd like to send out a missive that explains that this may show up, and how to fix it.

I've searched the forums and the documentation, but the only thing I've found about this recommends resetting the course or the assignments, which I'm already done.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aaron Batty

Re: [Moodle 2.4] How to clear out old grades?

by Doug Moody -

Have you thought about deleting the user and re-making his account? I don't mean unenrolling him, I mean delete him from Moodle and then set him up again as a new user.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Daniel Wolff -

You can use grade override to set the grade to "no grade" and remove it from aggregate.  You will need to remember to turn it off.

In reply to Aaron Batty

by Lisa Wiebenga -

'm resurrecting this topic, because I have the some issue in multiple courses. Aaron, did you happen to come to any resolution for this issue?

We're now three weeks into the semester, I can't delete a user completely because he/she has Moodle data for other courses that needs to be kept; if I override the grade, then remove the override, the original grade returns.

Has anyone else experienced this oddity?

Thanks!

Lisa

In reply to Aaron Batty

by Lisa Wiebenga -

'm resurrecting this topic, because I have the some issue in multiple courses. Aaron, did you happen to come to any resolution for this issue?

We're now three weeks into the semester, I can't delete a user completely because he/she has Moodle data for other courses that needs to be kept; if I override the grade, then remove the override, the original grade returns.

Has anyone else experienced this oddity?

Thanks!

Lisa

In reply to Lisa Wiebenga

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Lisa,

"if I override the grade, then remove the override, the original grade returns."

If I remember correctly, I did the test for that scenario during the QA testing for Moodle 2.6 or 27, and it is supposed to behave that way. 

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Lisa Wiebenga -

Thanks Al. I do know it's supposed to behave that way (and I appreciate that behavior for almost all other instances!) That was offered as one of the suggestions for removing the grades that come back with a student that had previously taken a course (his grades still show up, even after resetting and removing grades).

So, I'm still stuck with this problem: we have a student that took a course last year and did poorly. This semester, he's re-taking the same course. Instructor reset the course, un-enrolling all students, deleting all grades. Yet, when we enrolled the student, ALL of the grades from his previous semester showed up again. We're updating them as we go, but we'd prefer to wipe them out (when he uploads an assignment he sees a message saying he's already done this assignment, etc.).

Thanks to all for any ideas/suggestions,

Lisa

In reply to AL Rachels

by Lisa Wiebenga -

Thanks Al. I do know it's supposed to behave that way (and I appreciate that behavior for almost all other instances!) That was offered as one of the suggestions for removing the grades that come back with a student that had previously taken a course (his grades still show up, even after resetting and removing grades).

So, I'm still stuck with this problem: we have a student that took a course last year and did poorly. This semester, he's re-taking the same course. Instructor reset the course, un-enrolling all students, deleting all grades. Yet, when we enrolled the student, ALL of the grades from his previous semester showed up again. We're updating them as we go, but we'd prefer to wipe them out (when he uploads an assignment he sees a message saying he's already done this assignment, etc.).

Lisa

In reply to AL Rachels

by Lisa Wiebenga -

Lisa

In reply to Lisa Wiebenga

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Since you have already started your semester, the only thing I could suggest now would be to duplicate your assignments and hide the previously used original. I do this all the time, especially my tests so I can track improvement while keeping a copy of the original grade separate from their latest one.

AL

Average of ratings: Useful (1)