Confused about set_url()

Re: Confused about set_url()

by Dale Davies -
Number of replies: 0

That's the thing though, the code comments do say what set_url should be used for, but it doesn't seem to actually do that in most cases.

Looking at the code some more I think perhaps I should be adding my extra params into get_view_url, which is used in course_get_url, which in turn seems to be used in a lot of activities to set the base for the return url - indeed this seems to be the case with /course/modedit.php.  By the looks of it I can recreate get_vew_url() in my course format's class.

Like the comments in the code say however, the return url is hardcoded in a lot of modules unfortunately...

348      /**
 349       * The URL to use for the specified course (with section)
 350       *
 351       * Please note that course view page /course/view.php?id=COURSEID is hardcoded in many
 352       * places in core and contributed modules. If course format wants to change the location
 353       * of the view script, it is not enough to change just this function. Do not forget
 354       * to add proper redirection.
 355       *
 356       * @param int|stdClass $section Section object from database or just field course_sections.section
 357       *     if null the course view page is returned
 358       * @param array $options options for view URL. At the moment core uses:
 359       *     'navigation' (bool) if true and section has no separate page, the function returns null
 360       *     'sr' (int) used by multipage formats to specify to which section to return
 361       * @return null|moodle_url
 362       */

I'm really interested to know if anyone can think of a better way of doing this, maybe something I've missed?

Thanks again smile