Moodle 2.5 Text drag and drop not working in IE10.

Re: Moodle 2.5 Text drag and drop not working in IE10.

by David Hallam -
Number of replies: 4

I have tried that from you site but the text from word to ie10, when you drag it to the drop content box the cursor turns into a shortcut cursor which tells me ie10 is not supporting the function for draging text. I have tried that site for firefox and chrome and they work fine.

In reply to David Hallam

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

OK that sounds like a straightforward IE10 does not support dragging of text, only dragging of files (I've not been able to test this myself).

The jsfiddle is a vastly simplified version of the drag & drop code from Moodle, created to make it easier to solve incorrectly reported drag types in different browsers. So if it doesn't work on that site, it won't work in Moodle (nor is it possible to make it work in Moodle).

Out of curiosity, does dragging links work (e.g. from the chrome address bar, or from a link on a page?)

In reply to Davo Smith

by David Hallam -

drag and drop links work from chrome and firefox... but you guessed it not from IE10.

i will have a play to see if its just a setting im missing or if it just is not supported at all in ie10

cheers for the help

In reply to David Hallam

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Davo,
for the record, here are the exact feedbacks returned by your fiddle:

1. TXT file:
    • Types contained in the drag / drop: Files
    • Content: <filename>
  2. PNG file:
    • Types contained in the drag / drop: Files
    • Content: <filename>
  3. Text from FF:
    • Types contained in the drag / drop: Text
    • Content: <empty>
  4. Text from Word:
  5. Link from FF address bar:
  6. Link from IE address bar:
    • Types contained in the drag / drop: Text Url
  7. Link (anchor) from HTML text:
    • Types contained in the drag / drop: Text Url

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Matteo.

I think that the answer is that IE10 just does not support drag & drop of text/links, so there isn't anything much that can be done about it (at least it supports drag/drop of files!).