Moodle 1.9.12 ( Build 20110510).
The only error message in the server checks is unicode which it reports isn't installed or enabled. This has always been the case though so shouldn't explain the issues below.
I have uploaded courses to my Moodle previously without problem but after about 5 months having passed without the need to create any new courses I find that when I try to create new courses I get "Directory Does Not Exist" when I hit "Choose or Select File" within "Adding a New SCORM/AICC".
I enabled developer messages in debugging as per the FAQ and the following two lines appeared also:
"line 1664 of lib/deprecatedlib.php: call to debugging()
line 192 of files/index.php: call to error()"
Additionally when I try to update an existing SCORM I am told that the zip file does not contain a manifest file - even though the zip clearly contains the manifest within the root of the zip file just as I set things up previously for the year in which Moodle worked without a flaw.
SCORM used was SCORM 1.2. They work flawlessly (except for recording the results of quizzes ) when uploaded to another site using ftp and manual unzipping of the zip files.
I haven't changed any settings and neither has anyone else. I'm hosted on freehostia though so I wonder if it could be something they've done? I'd really appreciate any help as I've been hitting my head against this wall for the past few days without any success.
I'm happy to provide the SCORM package if anyone would like to test it themselves. It was created using Articulate.
NB. I've tried to re-upload old SCORM packages and I receive the same messages despite the fact that these are the same packages which were uplloaded previously, found to contain the manifest and currently work perfectly within moodle. So I think some setting must have changed somewhere but damned if I know what it is.
NB: I've also checked the imsmanifest file to ensure there are no additional lines of white space and have completed every aspect of the SCORM description ( including keywords) as these were highlighted as potential issues in the FAQ. Nothing seems to work.