WP and Moodle Auth integration changes with Moodle 2.5 release

WP and Moodle Auth integration changes with Moodle 2.5 release

by Scott Korvek -
Number of replies: 2

Hello.. 

First of all, thanks for changing the password cryptogrgraphy scheme for the upcoming Moodle 2.5.  It is helping me a little with peace of mind given all the recent server hacks and stolen user databases out there lately.

I have integrated Wordpress, Moodle, and Mahara into one site under a common login.  All authentication is done through Moodle.  Mahara nad Moodle are connected with moodle networking, so I don't anticipate any major issues there with the hash changes and per-user salt.

However, my WP install authenticates against the Moodle user database using a WP External DB Auth plugin.

I currently am using the "other" hash authentication setting and have set it like this:

$password2 =md5( $password.'[myMoodleHash]');

This obviously will not work anymore.  Any tips on how to set this up with the new hash/salt mechanism?  I am trying to follow https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-35332, but I don't think I gleaned enough detail to be sure.  If I new where to look in the Moodle source, that would help.

I assume I need to use

$password2 =bcrypt( $password.'[perUserSalt]');

But this field is PHP code and there is no place in the plugin to grab the perUserHash from the table.  Assuming I can modify the plugin to fetch the perUserSalt, is that all that is done, or is there any nested hashing going on here? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Korvek

Re: WP and Moodle Auth integration changes with Moodle 2.5 release

by Quinn Van Horn -

Hello Scott,

I am having the same problem with a similar situation. 

If you find a solution, please post it, and I will do the same if I find a solution.

Quinn

In reply to Scott Korvek

Re: WP and Moodle Auth integration changes with Moodle 2.5 release

by Paul K -

You have to read the hash-field from the database first and then use this string as salt (crypt() takes the saltpart of this string automatically)

// $query with selection of UserRow
$result = mysql_query($query);
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
$hashedPw = $row["password"];

if ( crypt( $userInput, $hashedPw ) === $hashedPw )
    echo 'password correct';