Can't restore courses: database reading error (Moodle 2.3)

Can't restore courses: database reading error (Moodle 2.3)

by Mariana Curado Malta -
Number of replies: 5

Hi to all,

I have moodle 2.3 in a Linux Server on Hostgator.com. In the same sever I have still moodle 1.9 running. Use PHP4 for moodle1.9 and PHP5 for moodle2.3

I have always restored courses with no problems on moodle 1.9.; I even migrated some courses from moodle 1 to moodle 2 with the backup&restore functionallities (backup on moodle1 and restore on moodle2). Some problems occured with the HotPots but generally all worked perfectly.

Now we want to create new courses on moodle 2.3 from other courses that already exist in the very same moodle 2.3 - that gives me an error (see file attached): Error reading from database. i tried several methodologies (new course, restore from another backup; old course, restore to a new course). Always the same error in the end.

I have putten debugging on as advised by Moodle.org but nothing happens. The same message. Nogthing else.

Who can help me on this?

All the best and thank you in advance,

Mariana

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mariana Curado Malta

Re: Can't restore courses: database reading error (Moodle 2.3)

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What does the link to 'more information' take you to?

What are HostGators limitations on the hosting package you have with them?  Can you provide any apache error log or mysql log clips?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

I Ken,

Thank you for your email and concern.

The link sends me to a place on moodle.org : http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/error/moodle/dmlreadexception

I turned on Debugging but the final message is the same and no other information is given.

I have CPANEL. I don't see where I can find the MYSQL errors log. I have a limited number of requests that I can do to the database, but I don't think that would be the problem...I don't know.

I just tryed out a restore directly to a new course and gave me the same error.

Thank you in advance again. And thank you for caring!

Mariana

by Ken Task -

If your package is limited to a certain number of hits on the DB side of things or the amount of data, that could result in an error that Moodle really can't trap (ie, capture any detailed info).  The hosting provider just rigs it so the data being returned/read from DB simply stops and reports no error for client to view/see.

That is true with the amount of data that might required to restore a course.  Moodle 2 does more ... thus requires more.

Strongly suggest contacting your hosting provider and see what they say concerning the DB and your restrictions there (number of hits on the DB, amount of data, etc.).

They, more than likely, if on a shared hosting plan, will recommend you upgrade to a VPS or something similar.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Hi Ken!

You helpoed so much!

It is true: it is a server problem!

I could find the error log on CPANEL (under Log->error log) and identified the error. Than contacted Hostgator and they told me that that error was the Memory_limit that has a limit of 256M (I was asking for a LOT more).

I have to try to do the backup&restore during low charge moments of the server and again to say (I have said thousands of time)  to the money guy, resposible for paying the bills!, that we need a better server plan.

Thank you again for your help.

Good spirit and good sharing for you from Portugal!

Mariana

by Ken Task -

Welcome.  Glad to help. 

Yup, that's all it takes ... more 'moolah' ($$$/Euro's). :|

'spirit of sharing', Ken