Cheating online: MOOC & Chronicle article

Cheating online: MOOC & Chronicle article

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 2

Sort of on the MOOC theme:

http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/mooc-teaches-how-to-cheat-in-online-courses-with-eye-to-prevention

MOOC starts tomorrow, but sadly enrolment is already closed.  (Is this a real MOOC if it can fill up before the start date?)

"The assignment will be one unit in his new massive open online course, “Understanding Cheating in Online Courses,” which begins on Monday through the Canvas MOOC platform, run by Instructure, a course-management company. The eight-week course will explore the vocabulary, psychology, and mechanics of what he calls “successful cheating” in online learning"

-Derek

Average of ratings: Very cool (3)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Cheating online: MOOC & Chronicle article

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for sharing, Derek! smile

Yeah, shame they limited enrollment. I guess they anticipated its popularity and didn't want it to take over their server resources... but only 1,000 participants? Are they trying to limit online cheating? :P

I'm of the opinion that standardised high stakes testing is a strong motivator for cheating. I wonder which is more prolific; online or face to face?

In reply to Matt Bury

Re: Cheating online: MOOC & Chronicle article

by Matt Stenson -

If you are interested in joining still I'm pretty sure we can get you in (I work with Dr. Bull). Let me know.