Help needed for message email notifications for moodle 2.3

Help needed for message email notifications for moodle 2.3

by Sylvia Guinan -
Number of replies: 1

I have tried everything I could think of to activate email notifications on my moodle 2.3 even though it should be automatic. My students just do not receive any notifications even though it seems to be set up right and the cron has been set up right. I feel that it must be a version 2.3 bug?

It has almost turned me completely off moodle and this Q is my last chance to sort it out. 

Can anyone help me? Also if there is no way to fix this would you recommend my configuring jabber to do the job instead?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sylvia Guinan

Re: Help needed for message email notifications for moodle 2.3

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Sylvia,

Just to be sure, can your Moodle installation send any mail at all (i.e. if you post a message in a News forum, do you get an email copy yourself), or does it concern email notifications for particular activities like the Moodle messenger? If nobody receives any email from your Moodle, but you are certain all the email settings are correct, then should should have your server admin take a look at the permissions your installation has. Moodle must be allowed to send mail (You can check the error log. If there are loads of message sending errors, it means that Moodle is trying to send the mail but is not getting through.

If the problem only concerns some activities, then have a look at what the default messaging settings in your Moodle are (The messaging page is part of the profile settings). It could be that messaging for certain activities is set to internal only (or it may not be set at all).

Rgrds,
Paul.