Can't automatically upgrade plugins anymore.

Re: Can't automatically upgrade plugins anymore.

by g k -
Number of replies: 17

Hmm.....playing around a bit, I now get the following errors:

exception 'missing_option_exception' with message 'Missing required option: dataroot' in mdeploy.php:363
Stack trace:
#0 mdeploy.php(157): input_manager->get_required_option('dataroot')
#1 mdeploy.php(838): input_manager->get_option('dataroot')
#2 mdeploy.php(714): worker->authorize()
#3 mdeploy.php(1399): worker->execute()
#4 {main}
In reply to g k

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hmmm ... that looks like you figured out how to execute the php file via command line.  Am I guessing right?  Did you execute giving the dataroot parameter?

The 'missing required option' is for dataroot ... which one can find in the config.php file of the site.

Would think, also, that this script must have access rights to be able to write to moodledata/temp/somedirectory (where is might unzip the package) and to the moodle code directory and then the mod/block or whatever the update notification is about.

Maybe a little more info is necessary ... updating a plugin could be core or an add-on.  Are we talking the inability to update an add-on?  If so, which add-on?  Those are third party 'contributions', I think, is that the term is as shown on the update plugins form.  Does it say an update is available for a contribution and then provides a link to download?  I've see some like that ... not updatable via Moodle GUI and was provided a link to download the upgrade for the mod/block.

Got any 'secure' logs which might complain about apache user attempting to write to a folder?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Brian Peat -

I've got this same issue. I upgraded our site to 2.6.2 20140310 this week and now I can't update anything using the auto option from inside Moodle. First I get that blank white page, and if I refresh it, I get that same error that was posted here. Uploading the files via ftp and then refreshing the notifications page is the only way I can update anything. I'd love to know what might be the cause so I can try to fix it.

Here's the error:

exception 'missing_option_exception' with message 'Missing required option: dataroot' in mdeploy.php:389
Stack trace:
#0 mdeploy.php(183): input_manager->get_required_option('dataroot')
#1 mdeploy.php(918): input_manager->get_option('dataroot')
#2 mdeploy.php(740): worker->authorize()
#3 mdeploy.php(1535): worker->execute()
#4 {main}
In reply to Brian Peat

by Steve Nisbet -

Hi folks

I'm getting a similar error to Brian in 2.2.4+, upgraded from 2.2.2+ 24th July

Linux Mint Petra (16)

MySQL 5.5.37

PHP PHP 5.5.3

debug info:

Debug info: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 30001 milliseconds with 0 out of 0 bytes received
Error code: err_response_curl
Stack trace:
  • line 233 of /lib/classes/update/checker.php: core\update\checker_exception thrown
  • line 119 of /lib/classes/update/checker.php: call to core\update\checker->get_response()
  • line 501 of /admin/index.php: call to core\update\checker->fetch()
In reply to Ken Task

by Mohamed Rasheed -

am getting same error here. in addition of missing "install button' ; 

I have tried this

1- supplying dataroot parameter via command line using

$ sudo -u apache php mdeploy.php [options]. // it didnt change anything

2- enabled updateautodeploy in moodle GUI

3- added this line $CFG->disableupdateautodeploy = false; to config.php

4- changed file permissons of mdeploy.php to 777, temporarily.

5- edited the mdeploy.php and manually inserted the values of

$dataroot = 'PATH/TO/MOODLEDATA'; // after doing this , error changed to  'Missing required option: passfile'

$passfile =  'PATH/TO/PASSFILE'; //  after doing this , error changed to  'Missing required option: password'

$password = 'ADMINPASSORD'; // the page went blank from here

am i missing something here?

In reply to Mohamed Rasheed

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
There is no need to provide the admin password there! Please do not do that. This password file is used when the mdeploy.php utility is used via the web interface only. When executed via CLI, there is no authentication needed.

The password / ticket is valid for a single page request in mdeploy.php. Reloading the page does not work by design, the second request is not authorized any more.

There is MDL-48210 reported that may be relevant to issues reported in this thread.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Mohamed Rasheed -
Is there any way I can  get  updates auto deployment working?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Getting a completely blank page is a typical symptom of an error that is not displayed. Please double check your web server's access_log (to make sure the access to this script is logged) and error_log. Please note, the mdeploy.php utility is a standalone script, intentionally not including anything from the Moodle itself. So even if you have debugging level raised in your Moodle configuration, this mdeploy.php will probably follow the native PHP setting defined in your php.ini (there may be other places though such as .htaccess that a=may affect this). You may wish to check http://php.net/manual/en/errorfunc.configuration.php#ini.display-errors and http://php.net/manual/en/errorfunc.configuration.php#ini.error-reporting
In reply to David Mudrák

by Mohamed Rasheed -
actually i am getting few error messages (attached). i am not sure how to correct them
Attachment Capture2.JPG

by David Mudrák -
Do you get this error message at the vanilla clean Moodle installation or at the version that you locally modified somehow? (as your post above suggests)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Mohamed Rasheed -
it is a clean Moodle 2.8 installation. we have upgraded it manually from 2.7 now i'm trying to install updates ( 2.8.1 in this case ) with one click of a button as described here

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Automatic_updates_deployment - case 3

by Just H -

Can't be done; the link is to development docs. The functionality still hasn't been realised.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Just H

by Constance Horne -

I am getting this same issue. I am running 2.4.0. Is this really a non-functional item? The 2.4 docs say you can do this.

In reply to Constance Horne

by David Mudrák -
This thread became a bit confusing as multiple issues are mixed-in here. What is your particular problem?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Constance Horne -

I am running 2.4 and attempted to auto-update a plugin and I get the error from mdeploy about "missing option exception" as shown in the picture a few replies above this reply.

by David Mudrák -
Does it happen all the time or just occasionally? Any chance for upgrading your site to more recent version? And what plugin is it (name, current version)?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Constance Horne -

I have attempted to update three different plug-ins: Face-to-Face, Certificate, and Open Meetings. All three give the blank page and then a refresh gives the error message. We are planning an upgrade to 2.8.3 as soon as our VM is allocated. I was just trying this feature.

So I guess I will have to wait. ...

by David Mudrák -

All three give the blank page and then a refresh gives the error message.

Aha. Ok. As I was trying to explain above, that error is expected on refresh. It's part of the authentication and authorization process there.

We have to focus on why you are getting that (first) blank page. Blank page is typically a result of some PHP error in combination with displaying errors off. Usually, these errors are still logged in an error log file on the server (depending on your web server configuration). Can you monitor and check those?