Using a cluster

Re: Using a cluster

by KirK Chapman -
Number of replies: 0

I generally use clusters as summative tests without the option to answer more than once. In that regard clusters are like magic! But I was curious as to the cluster logic of redelivering questions. The wind up: I wasn't able to configure the cluster to redeliver incorrectly answered questions either; and I spent several hours trying to do so. I also experimented with the grade options and flow control when you first set up the lesson- to no avail. I did search the tracker and related forum questions. While there are several issues related to cluster logic I didn't see anything with this specificity. However, the issue did make me think of some cluster logic questions and conclude that this is not a bug.  While a cluster does randomize the display of questions, I'm thinking-perhaps the adaptive logic of the cluster is not designed to redeliver questions in this manner. "A cluster is used when the teacher wants a series of questions in a lesson to appear in a different random order for each student" (http://docs.moodle.org/21/en/Lesson_clusters#When_to_use_a_cluster.3F). While the cluster randomizes questions and scores responses I've not read in the docs where it is designed to sort questions into categories of: answered correctly, answered incorrectly > then redeliver the answered incorrectly randomly until all are sorted in the answered correctly category> "jump" to end of cluster or wherever. The video we discussed implies that this could be done but I could not recreate that functionality. Creating that functionality would usher in other considerations like: potentially placing a learner in a tiresome, seemingly inescapable loop of questions. There are no cluster buttons that say, "end," "close," "I quit," "submit score and end" etc. If the learner fatigues and closes the browser or breadcrumbs out of the cluster what happens? Is a score calculated? Struggling through a looping cycle could be very time consuming. Does the learner have a way of bookmarking his spot until he can finish later? These issues make me think that the cluster is not designed to sort, track and redeliver questions marked incorrect; this logic sounds more like a SCORM job or better handled through branching. If it can be done in 2.0 I'd love to see it and correct my faulty thinking. I'm going to keep at it until I get a definitive, programmers answer. In this case setting a minimum passing score allowing retakes make fit the purpose.