Changing Maximum Number of Uploaded Files

Changing Maximum Number of Uploaded Files

by Tom Hulse -
Number of replies: 10
Hi everyone My name is Tom and I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster. I was hoping to get some help with this particular issue I'm having in our Moodle system. We're using Moodle 2.4 and we have a course whereby we need the teachers to upload documents for each student to the dropbox so they can mark them as complete. 1. Is it possible for a teacher to upload a student's submission and assign it to them so that it appears under their name in the grade summary? Or does a teacher need to be logged in as a student to upload the file? 2. The current limit on the amount of files one individual can upload to the dropbox is 20 - is there a setting somewhere in Moodle itself where this can be overridden? The numbers of students in the groups for this course can vary from 6 to 100+, so this would be really useful if we could. Of course, if our teachers can't upload and assign submissions to the appropriate student, this would be null and void. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Regards Tom
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Hulse

Re: Changing Maximum Number of Uploaded Files

by Dot Emry -

I've been looking for the same thing myself. I thought I'd seen it somewhere in site admin settings, but can't seem to find it now!

Anybody out there now where to change this?

In reply to Dot Emry

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ok first of all, coming to this from several months later (sorry Tom) teachers can't log in as students unless the admin expressly allows them that capabilty -which is up to your admin. The 20 files max upload refers to the number of files each individual student can upload to one assignment (dropbox?) and not to the number of files a teacher uploading for a student could upload. There was in 1.9 a place in the code where you could increase this number (I remember finding it and posting it ) but I don't think you necessarily need that Tom. Dot - if you need it I will try to find it again)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dot Emry -

Mary,

I am still looking for it, so any help would be much appreciated. I know I found it when we had 1.9 somewhere in the Site admin settings, but now that we 2.x I don't know where it's hiding!

In reply to Dot Emry

by Dot Emry -

So...we have Moodlerooms as our host for Moodle and I asked their tech dept. The answer was that "this limit is hard-coded into the software" and can't be changed without a "code customization." So if a student needs to upload more than 20 files, they have to zip their files together.

In reply to Dot Emry

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Dot. Yes - it was never in the site admin settings even in 1.9 - I had to find it in the code when I did find it.

In reply to Tom Hulse

by Richard Crawford -

I'm sorry for responding to such an old thread, but this is something that's been been driving me crazy all day. I cannot find a default setting anywhere in the site administration, nor can I find the default setting anywhere in the code. Right now the "maximum number of uploaded files" default value in a course is 1. We need to change that to 10.

Can this actually be done? We're using Moodle 2.3.2.

In reply to Tom Hulse

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Matthew Davidson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

I know this is an older thread, but the solution to this issue is being debated now at https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=273202

the code to fix this issue is on https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-47777

If you have a use case as to why it might be needed to allow more than 20 files, let Moodle know about it. Thanks!

In reply to Tom Hulse

by Mochamad Nur Qomarudin -

I am running moodle 2.9.2+. I think, I have found a way to change Maximum Number of Uploaded Files in Assignment. The site give a limitation only 20 files, but I need to give a space for 30 uploaded file, just for very very special case.

The setting was saved in database: mdl_config_plugins > [plugin] assignsubmission_file > [name] maxfiles > [value] 20

All we need to do is only change the value. Don't change manually using phpmyadmin or something else, because it will not make any effect, instead, use moodle function set_config

the function is:

set_config($name, $value, $plugin);

so... the code

set_config('maxfiles', 30, 'assignsubmission_file');

Execute in any php files within moodle folder after require_once(__DIR__ .'/../../config.php');

Thats all.... All Praise for Allah... The Creator and Sustainer of The Universe

by: Mochamad Nur Qomarudin | alfiyahibnumalik@gmail.com | Indonesia

In reply to Mochamad Nur Qomarudin

by Bruno Henrique Cury -

How do the same thing for the 2.2 version ?

There is no directory "mod\assign\submission\file"

Thank's