Adding student name to "view all responses" output

Adding student name to "view all responses" output

by Glenn Pillsbury -
Number of replies: 5

I have a professor here who loves the questionnaire and uses it almost every day.  So, she has a lot of answers to review and likes the "View all responses" option so she can skim the answers quickly on a single page.  However she has asked me if there is any way to display the student's name automatically in the display layout of the responses.  I know it's not a built-in setting, but which file in the questionnaire directory creates the html table that holds all the responses?  I'd like to see if I can make the modification myself.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenn Pillsbury

Re: Adding student name to "view all responses" output

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Glenn,

Which version of Moodle are you using?

Not sure I understand your question. The "View all responses" page is meant to display a statistical summary of a questionnaire's respondents, I do not understand what you mean by "is there any way to display the student's name automatically" on that page. Which student do you mean?

Or maybe you mean on the "View By Response" page, you would like to see students' names displayed in the navigation bar (instead of responses numbers)?

Please be more specific and, if possible, attach a mock screenshot showing exactly what you want.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Glenn Pillsbury -

Hi Joseph,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.  We're currently using Moodle 2.1.2, though we are upgrading to Moodle 2.4 in about three weeks.

Yes, the "View all responses" is a summary, but I'd like to include the student's name automatically alongside their response so the instructor can quickly see at a glance who has completed the activity.  This is faster than viewing by response because the instructor has to click each time to advance to the next student.  Also, if the name is inserted automatically the instructor doesn't have to remind students to type their name inside their response, and it means students won't have to worry about forgetting to do that.

The attached screenshot shows one of the questionnaire activities for the course.  You see the grade is there and the response text.  The students have typed in their name but sometimes they forget and the location of the name in the response differs from student to student.  The instructor would just like the student name automatically included somewhere in the row of their entry.  Perhaps it could be included at the very start of their response text?

Since these are all just variables in a dynamically generated table, I could probably make the modification myself if you could tell me where in the questionnaire files is the code that generates the table.

Does that help?

In reply to Glenn Pillsbury

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Glenn,

1.- "We're currently using Moodle 2.1.2, though we are upgrading to Moodle 2.4 in about three weeks."

Please remember that you can not upgrade directly from 2.1 to 2.4, but have to go through 2.2 first. See the Upgrading documentation.

2.- Thanks for the provided information, now I see what you mean. That is one of the "new features" that have been in the pipeline for ... too long and are still waiting to be tested, approved and committed. If you are interested you may vote for CONTRIB-4038 Display respondents' names in front of their answers in the Essay Box question type.

Joseph

by Glenn Pillsbury -

Thanks for the info, Joseph; I've voted.

And, we're using an entirely different server for 2.4, so we don't need to worry about the 2.2 part.  Thanks for thinking of it though!

by Glenn Pillsbury -

Just got the notification about the new version.

Thank you! My instructors will really appreciate the update.

In my tests it seems to work just fine in Moodle 2.4 if I roll back the required version in version.php.