MySQL 5.5.16 but identified as 5.0.45

MySQL 5.5.16 but identified as 5.0.45

by osiguan pelkett -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, I was trying to install Moodle 2.4.3+ (Build: 20130425) in XAMPP 1.7.7 in localhost.

(Windows XP SP3, browser Mozilla Firefox 20.0.1)

I've checked, that XAMPP 1.7.7 comes with: Apache 2.2.21, PHP 5.3.8, MySQL 5.5.16. (described in the apachefriends website)

All server checks have green status, except one red status:

database - mysql - version 5.1.33 is required and you are running 5.0.45

But my MySQL version is 5.5.16. I've also checked in the command line:

C:\xampp\mysql\bin>mysql --version
mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.16, for Win32 (x86)

C:\xampp\mysql\bin>mysqld --version
mysqld  Ver 5.5.16 for Win32 on x86 (MySQL Community Server (GPL))

Question: What version of MySQL I have to install in order to be able to install Moodle 2.4.3 ?

Thank you very much.

ps. Inside config.php:

$CFG->dbtype    = 'mysqli';
$CFG->dblibrary = 'native';

Note: I never install another MySQL in my laptop. And "c:\xampp\mysql\bin" is in the system path (global path).

Attachment server-check.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to osiguan pelkett

Re: MySQL 5.5.16 but identified as 5.0.45

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Most likely it is true - it must be seeing some other mysql server. Is this possible? Have you had a previous install of MySQL?

In reply to Howard Miller

by osiguan pelkett -

Thank you for fast response, Mr. Howard Miller.

Previous installation of my MySQL is from previous XAMPP. I forgot the previous XAMPP's MySQL version, but as far as I remember it's not the very old version of MySQL 5.0.45.

Then I did clean uninstallation of my previous XAMPP, and I installed the current XAMPP 1.7.7.

I never install another MySQL in my laptop other than the one from XAMPP.

Now my question is, if say that I maybe too stupid to not know that there is or there was another MySQL in my laptop:
Then, how to fix my problem?

I've searched my Program Files folder (in which all programs running in my laptop are installed), and the result, there is no another "mysql".

I also open Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs, there is no "mysql", it's "XAMPP 1.7.7" listed in there.

I also open Windows Task Manager | Processes, there is only one "mysqld-nt.exe" process is running. And if I stop the MySQL server from inside XAMPP Control Panel this process is gone.

I tried to run mysql.exe from command line, not from xampp\mysql\bin directory, but outside it:
C:\> mysql --version
mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.16, for Win32 (x86)
It shows the XAMPP's mysql version = 5.5.16

That's mean "C:\xampp\mysql\bin" is in the global path (system path)
I also run "> set path" to list all of the system paths, and "C:\xampp\mysql\bin" is in there.

note:
-Date of release of the very old MySQL 5.0.45 is July 12 2007 8:19am.
(ref: lists dot mysql dot com/announce/470)
-I bought this laptop in 2010.
-Nearest released version of XAMPP in that year (2009) is XAMPP 1.7.1 with MySQL 5.1.33, XAMPP 1.7.2 with MySQL 5.1.37, XAMPP 1.7.3 with MySQL 5.1.41.
(Even maybe I installed my first XAMPP in 2011 since I'm not in the need of localhost Apache server until 2 years ago to support my study, as I cannot remember the year exactly, so I assume it's 2010 to be safe.)

-So, I wonder what version number is Moodle said as "5.0.45" ? Is it MySQL version, or is there another version number in a MySQL installation, likes for example, MySQLI version? or are there the other version numbers?

-From which part of the Windows OS (XP SP3) system does Moodle determine the MySQL version of current installation?

-And how to resolve this problem, what part of my system need to be changed? 

Thank you very much for any suggestions, answers, and any responses.

Here's PHP Info:

Attachment phpinfo1.png
Attachment phpinfo2.png
In reply to osiguan pelkett

by osiguan pelkett -

I solved my problem by myself smile

It's a bug in the XAMPP 1.7.7 which provides wrong MySQL version.

(According to this thread in ApacheFriends forum: www dot apachefriends dot org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50307 )

I just installed latest XAMPP 1.8.1, and now Moddle installation has no problem.

Your server environment meets all minimum requirements.

Thank you.