Exporting/Importing Questions (+ images) (QMP > Respondus > Moodle)

Exporting/Importing Questions (+ images) (QMP > Respondus > Moodle)

by Wade Taylor -
Number of replies: 5

I have a large amount of questions within Questionmark Perception to move across into Moodle. The issue comes when trying to move questions with their images. There are hundreds of questions which use the exact same image in them, and uploading each individually will be quite the task. 

I have read that Respondus will accept a IMS content package, (one of which QMP exports out with images, only in assessment format), however respondus says it's not a valid QTI file. 

Has anyone had any experience of this before ? We are of course limited by what format QMP can export out. 

Maybe there is another way to handle this ? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wade Taylor

Re: Exporting/Importing Questions (+ images) (QMP > Respondus > Moodle)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you have a large enough number of questions then the best thing woudl be to write an importer that imports one of the file formats that QMP exports.

Obviously, you should choose the format that exports the most data in the clearest format. (Does QMP have a native format, like Moodle has Moodle XML format?)

Brief documentation for how to develop such a plugin here: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Question_formats. Basically you need to parse the input format, and build the correct data structure to represent the question. It is normally quite easy, given a good set of example files.

In reply to Wade Taylor

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Wade,

Unfortunately Questionmark Perception is a very closed product and it's very difficult for me to learn about it, as I certainly can't afford the cost of a licence just to study it !

Last time I checked they advertised for a "Moodle connector" wich seems to me as a awfull thing as it create a new activity in Moodle different from the quiz acitvity !!

Can you tell me

• what formats QMP is able to export (or better send me a sample of each one with a few questions including images)
  • where I could find a complete user manal as I was not able to find one on their "wonderfull" website (as it detects I am connecting from France it automatically send me an awfull mix of french and english for each page with missing images and dead links !!!!)

I think that with these informations I will be able to tell you if there is any way to get your questions into Moodle

In reply to Wade Taylor

by Peter Seaman -

I don't know anything about Questionmark Perception, but please don't make the mistake I once made, which was to copy hundreds of questions into Microsoft Word, import them into Respondus, and then create the Moodle question type. Word introduced so much "garbage code," the questions could not even render in Moodle. I ended up manually fixing hundreds of questions! Someone later told me I could have copied the questions into a plain-text editor (like Notepad) before importing them into Respondus, which would have eliminated the Word garbage code. Anyway, I would avoid Word when doing anything with Respondus. Thanks.

Peter

In reply to Peter Seaman

by Wade Taylor -

Many thanks for all the replies. 

We have since managed to edit the QTI XML produced by QMP to specify the image name in place of the location which QMP produces (which links to its topic resource location) and include the relative link. 

Once in respondus, import the XML file, and use the option to specify a image folder.  Works a treat, wish I knew about it sooner!

Thanks again folks!

EDIT: on further testing, it seems you may not have to edit the XML file at all. Just specify the image folder in respondus. I think the confusion came from the respondus manual saying you could only specify a image folder if it was a plain text file. 

In reply to Wade Taylor

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Doug,

Even if your problem is solved for people not having access to Respondus, could you send me a QTI file (zip) produced by QMP so that I can see if it would possible to make a format to directly import QMP questions into Moodle ? I can send you a private message with my mail adress if necessary.

Thanks.