Wiki

Faculty Cannot View Wiki Pages on Homepage

Picture of Nancy K Hoke
Faculty Cannot View Wiki Pages on Homepage

Greetings - I created a Wiki for a FAQ for the Moodle Gradebook on our Moodle homepage.  When a faculty member clicks on the Wiki they get a message stating they do not have permission to view the Wiki.  When I open Check Permissions for the Wiki and add a faculty member to the search all of the Wiki settings show NO.  When I open Permissions - View Wiki and all the other persmission settings show that the role of Faculty are granted permission.  The Wiki is open. Is there something I need to assign on the frontpage to allow the Faculty to access the Wiki?  

Thank you so much for your help - Nancy K. - Khalifa University

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Sakshi Goel
Re: Faculty Cannot View Wiki Pages on Homepage
Testers

Hello Nancy

There is a permission issue for that role. U need to check permission for example- a students must have the following permission for the wiki

Your faculty member atleast have the above permissions to access. If it is not there then assign permissions from settings > wiki administration > permissions and add the role for the above permissions from the plus icon under "Role with permission" column.

Then re-check the permission for that person.

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Nancy - do I assume you mean the actual front page of your Moodle site? Try making the default front page role "student".

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

Thank you both for your help.  I am sorry to say I am still confused.  In the Wiki I clicked on Permissions - and in the Permissions Faculty are listed in the groups.  However when I click Check Permissions - and enter a faculty member's name - I see that the fields are set to No. 

Permissions for the Wiki - Wiki Permission Settings

Check Permissions for a faculty member -

Wiki Check Permissions

In the Site management - Define Roles - Faculty - all of the Wiki elements are Allow

Faculty Role Define Wiki

I have the Wiki on the homepage in the Main Menu module.

Moodle Main Menu with Wiki

If I change the default on the homepage (is that the same as the Front Page?) to student will that give them editing ability?  I do not want that to happen - LOL.  All the other items in the Menu work fine and the faculty can access them - it is just the Wiki that is the problem.

Thank you - again for your help.  Nancy K.

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hi Nancy - no - changing the default front page role to student won't allow them to edit the front page but they will be able to use the wiki and you shouldn't need to change any permissions. Try it - log in with a real student account. If you're not comfortable you can always change back. (Site administration>Front page settings>Default front page role)

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

Thank you I will give it a try. smile

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

sad Well - I tried it.  The role on the Front Page settings was at the default - None - changed it to Student - but still no access for the Wiki for anyone else but me.

Frontpage role student

I see that there is also a link for Frontpage Roles - here is the information displayed in that field.

Frontpage Role 2

Thank you for the help - I tried putting the FAQ into a Book but that has the same issues as the Wiki.  I may try to export the Wiki and just upload as it a WORD doc.  I was trying to demonstrate some of the features in Moodle that do not get used here - to stimulate some ideas.