Problems uploading large filenames and with special characters

Problems uploading large filenames and with special characters

by CRISTINA MONTOYA -
Number of replies: 1

I am using the version 2.3.3 of Moodle for Windows. It is installed on Windows 2003 Server and IIS with mysql 5.5.

When I try to upload a file to a course with a long filename or special characters I can uploaded (apparently) but after that when I try to access to the file I got an error.

Please its important for us not to change the filenames; I am loosing a lot of time trying to fix this...

Could somebody help me please!!!

Thanks in advance

Cristina

Average of ratings: -
In reply to CRISTINA MONTOYA

Re: Problems uploading large filenames and with special characters

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
This is to be expected. The only robust solution is to educate the users that a file name is not
poetry and large files don't need large filenames! The Moodle developers have a different opinion on this though: see "(Moodle 2.1.2) Problem with Unziping zip files that contain special characters" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=190958.

In fact I know of a Moodle installation, again a Windows server, where this was happening for a long time. Now they are in serious trouble bacause the physical repository and the repository information in the database are completely off. It crashes the (PHP based) backups, it crashes upgrade!