Controlling Appearance of Answers in Lesson Quiz

Controlling Appearance of Answers in Lesson Quiz

by Rodney Wolford -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

I'm starting to try to figure out how to make the Quizzes in lessons work. First problem on responses has been fixed. Now next problem.  I can't figure out how to control the placement of radio buttons and answers. My problems are three-fold as shown in the attached quiz question. As it currently appears it chews up a lot of space with no purpose. I'm not opposed to doing a little html, java, or php customization, if I have an idea of where to begin.

Regards,

Rod Wolford

Attachment Quiz_Answer_Appearance.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rodney Wolford

Re: Controlling Appearance of Answers in Lesson Quiz

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Rodney,

I am not experiencing any of the problems you mention using Moodle 2.4, standard theme and "normal" questions and answers.

The "vertical spaces" displayed in your lesson may result from the "special" contents of your question text and your answers, especially the image one can see on the right. Obviously the vertical white space #1 is determined by the height of that image, there is nothing you can do about it.

As for the problems #2 and #3, I do not see them on my attached screenshot.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Rodney Wolford -

Hi Joseph,

I can see that you are suggesting that the problem lies with the theme I have selected. But that doesn't seem to be the case, at least at first look. I have changed the theme to the standard Moodle theme and the problem persists, as you can see in the attached screen shot.

Another possibility, but I am not sure why this would be the case, I use the HTML formating for these Answers because the type in the Moodle format is too small for most of my current test users.

Is it possible that the HTML option causes this? If it does, that would be a very big limitation. But perhaps, it would be fixable in the underlying .css?

Again, I am a newbie, just six months into Moodle, so if my question seems ignorant, it probably is. Are there any other reasons you can think of why I would see this display, even using the standard theme?

Regards,

Rod Wolford

Attachment External_Work_Zone_1_quiz_display2.png

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Rodney,

No, I don't think the problem is related to the visual theme you are using. By the way, it would be useful if you specified which theme you are using, just in case.

"Another possibility, but I am not sure why this would be the case, I use the HTML formating for these Answers because the type in the Moodle format is too small for most of my current test users. Is it possible that the HTML option causes this?"

Well, it's quite impossible for me to know if your HTML formatting is causing problems if I do not have access to that formatting. It's really up to you to find out. What happens if you do not use any HTML formatting in your questions Answers?

Joseph

by Rodney Wolford -

Hello again, Joseph.

The Theme I am using is Rocket.

The only HTML formating I am using is to increase font size for an Answer as follows: <span style="font-size: medium;">Region marked 5.</span>

However, what occurs, when the html is saved, then opened to re-edit it displays as follows: <p><span style="font-size: medium;">Region marked 5.</span></p> The paragraph <p> ... </p> is automatically inserted.

To overcome this, I have tried:

<h3>Using a header setting </h3>,

a <div> setting, </div> and

the "preformatted" setting. 

All produce the same result. The radio button appears above the text line.

Last, this formatting DOES NOT occur if the Moodle format is used, but that text is too small for my audience.

I guess that two questions still remain. 1) Why does this happen to my questions in the Lesson module when I select the HTML option and increase the font size to a readable level? and 2) What do I do to fix it?

Hope you have some ideas that can help.

Thanks again,

Rod Wolford

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Rod,

You are right, this is a bug in Lesson, and now I remember having come across it, and even reporting it in the bug tracker as MDL-23566 "radio buttons and check boxes not correctly aligned with choice text".

I reported this bug almost 3 years ago and thanks to this discussion I realize it has still not been fixed.sad You may vote for it if you like.

ATB

Joseph

by Rodney Wolford -

Joseph,

I'm sorry, I don't know how to vote!?

Rod

by Rodney Wolford -

Joseph,

Also, I looked at the code you submitted in your Lesson 3 example. Some of the code in the current multichoice.php is different from that marked for changes in your code replacement document. Is there any update to your replacement code? If not, I will probably try to incorporate your code as it would be sufficient for most of my Answer options.

BTW, I was serious when I said I don't know how to vote. Where does one go to express a desire for a fix. I already have several issues, this one of them, that I would like to see fixed.

Last, I did determine that using the moodleformat option it is possible to enter html code into it and it will reformat, etc. But, I'm already about 80 questions in and don't want to have to redo them all, since you can't undo from HTML format to Moodleformat.

Regards,

Rod

by Joseph Rézeau -

Go to the tracker home page: https://tracker.moodle.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

and log in, then you can vote for issues, and also watch issues (on the right hand side)

screenshot #1

You need to sign up for an account first, if you haven't got one on the tracker. I forget if it's the same as your moodle.org account, try it; if not, then sign up for a new one.

Joseph