Ban certain e-mail addresses from account creation?

Re: Ban certain e-mail addresses from account creation?

by Greg Padberg -
Number of replies: 3

Thanks Rick, I have already voted for and am watching the issue since earlier this year.  This would be a welcome enhancement to the user filter advanced settings.

From my comment in the "Spammers Using Self Registration" thread, I may have another idea to prevent spam accounts (copy & pasted from there):

The bogus account profiles are fairly easy to filter / suspend / delete as the country is random and our users are all within Canada.  In the Location settings our Default country is therefore set to Canada.  Considering this further it seems that on initial account signup page, JavaScript is used to automatically populate the Country profile field with the Default country.  Extending this even further, the bogus accounts would seem to indicate that the bots are not JavaScript enabled.  Could there be a browser JavaScript capability check done on the signup.php page before allowing any form data to be submitted?  My idea is to have an additional setting in Site Administration > Plugins > Authentication > Email-based self-registration.  I would like to see a checkbox for "Require JavaScript for Creating New Accounts" (default unchecked).  Could the spam solution be so simple that it only requires the client to be JavaScript enabled?  Might there be other mitigating factors such as accessibility, or any confusion caused by mobile or tablet themes?

In reply to Greg Padberg

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I think others have suggested something along the same lines of your suggestions.  I like to keep the country set to United States, to make it easier for my students.  The spammers on my system have email accounts from aol.com, and hotmail.com.  But so do some of my valid users.

All these spammers don't make it into any course, which is why I want to filter on this condition.  Ideally, I would prefer a filter that states "Delete users not in any course after xx days."

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Just H -

I agree with the filter (and have voted for it) until such time have you looked at geoblocking?

Not sure if it would suit your situation but having just cleared out 1000+ spammers yesterday then 100 new today we've just blocked anyone from outside our country from accessing our site.

To do so, rather than using the inbuilt IP blocker we went with using the .htaccess file (less hassle I believe). Now we'll just have to worry about the IP list becoming outdated and blocking legit signups black eye

In reply to Just H

by Greg Padberg -

I AM looking at geoblocking, and expect to soon try the solution on my production server.