Exporting quiz reports - what to do with blank cells?

Exporting quiz reports - what to do with blank cells?

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Someone at the OU has just pointed out to me that if you export most quiz reports as either CSV or Excel format, and then try to open that file with Excel, then it gets unhappy with the cells that just contain '-' meaning missing data.

So, the question is, when exporting, should we export a blank cell, rather than '-'?

Have you hit this problem? If so, what solution would you like us to adopt?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Exporting quiz reports - what to do with blank cells?

by Joshua Bragg -

I literally just ran into the same problem last week.  I was trying to compare quiz scores in Moodle to paper test scores in my class.  It really screws up Excel's logic when the "-" is in there.

My solution that day was to delete all of the "-".  I would suggest just leaving it empty.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tim,

Could you attach sample CSV and Excel files so we can test this problem? I am using Libre Office and do not see the problem in my quiz reports exports.

Joseph

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Tim

we found just an other problem with the exported files. There are ' at the beginning of a cell that marks a text entry normally. So its not possible to calculate with the data in Calc or Excel.

Ralf

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ralph, is that using CSV or Excel export?