Creating a Course "template"

Creating a Course "template"

by Pedro Santos -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I've spent quite a lot of time reading and googling for a simple way to create a "template" like course, so as any teacher creates a course, wold use that standard format with the same number and type of activites, for all the courses created in moodle.

So far, I had no luck what so ever. I've seen a way to do this, but it's not "usable" for teachers, it needs coders to do some changing on the code, backup and restore the courses and so on.

My question is if there is any other way to do this, and if there is not, where should I start reading to make a plug-in to do this.

Best regards,

Pedro

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pedro Santos

Re: Creating a Course "template"

by Derek Chirnside -

I could write quite a lot on this question Pedro, but first I'll ask this:

With the current Moodle you have have you built a course that you'd like as a template for teachers to use?

Depending if the answer is yes no or What??, then I have other comments.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Pedro Santos -

Good evening,

I'm building a course, that I'd like teachers to use "template", for their courses. Basicly I just create a sample course, so they can edit everything and enything, but the structure itself.

I've been testing some code that I have writen for version 1.9, but it doesnt work, so it will have to be re-writen. Moodle 2.4+ offers quite a better range of options, and it takes some effort, to, but for the deployment I need this is what I'm going to need, and the portuguese translation, but that I'll manage and give the translation back to the community.

Best regards,

Pedro

In reply to Pedro Santos

by ben reynolds -

I'm not clear on why a coder is needed. We use template courses here. We create a course with the necessary number of topics, the activities, and so forth. We back it up (you don't need a coder for that). We then restore the backup as a new course (you don't need a coder for that, either).

By default, teachers can modify the structure (if you mean number of topics/weeks/sections), but I've never had an instructor do that or even indicate they know how to do it.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to ben reynolds

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

+1 for Ben's comment - that's exactly as I do it

Rather than just create a new blank, empty course when needed, simply restore the backup of the 'template' course structure.

Richard