Writing reports based on Quiz outputs - Anyone done this or willing to help develop?

Writing reports based on Quiz outputs - Anyone done this or willing to help develop?

by Phil Dagap -
Number of replies: 8

hi there,

Currently on v 1.9.19 and thinking of upgrading soon to 2.3/2.4.
Quiz - version

I'd like to create reports which take output from a quiz and give specifc feedback depending on results. I have written the feedback just need to find the best way to get reports written, such as being based on Mysql data directly for instance.

If anyone has experience doing this or wants to develop these with me , I'd be very happy to hear back,

thanks for reading

Phil

(Edited by Mary Cooch to remove personal details - original submission Tuesday, 23 April 2013, 5:11 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phil Dagap

Re: Writing reports based on Quiz outputs - Anyone done this or willing to help develop?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

How is that different from overall feedback? http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Adding/updating_a_quiz#Overall_feedback

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Writing reports based on Quiz outputs - Anyone done this or willing to help develop?

by Phil Dagap -

Ah ok Tim thanks. Let me clarify.

I need more context specific feedback - not simply per question but a way of giving more detailed feedback on the way a range of questions are answered.

This feedback would be given at the end of the quiz / sep downloadable report. 

The report would contain predefined text that is dependant on people's exact answers (all questions have 1 - 5 answers) for a question or a specific group of questions. 

So I need more than the simple feedback per answer, or overall feedback quiz standardly offers.  

e.g. If questions 2, 5, 7, and 9 score < 6 then they get one paragraph and if > 10 then another etc.

Make sense? Let me know if need more info.

thanks for reading

Phil 

In reply to Phil Dagap

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Phil "Make sense? Let me know if need more info."

Not really. Please provide a real-world concrete example.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Phil Dagap -

Hi Joseph.

Ok...sure.

So my quiz may be on Communication skills.

I will have say 4 questions (out of say 40)  within this quiz that relate to a person's ability to listen well. There is a 'bset' answer for each question which may score 2. A second best that socres 1 and the other 3 answers score 0.  If I take the cumulative scores for someone's answers to these specific 4 questions which each have 5 possible answers ( and score 0 , 1 or 2) then we may want the following specifies text in an output report.

Scores: >/= 7 - You've got great listening skills.....

Scores: > /= 3 <7 - You sometimes have issues with listening skills and I recommend doing XX and reading XX etc

Scores: < 3 . Your listening skills need some work. They'll be affecting you in these ways XX. You can do this XX and I recommend reading XX and doing...etc

Does this help explain?

thanks for taking an interest,

Phil

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Phil Dagap

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Right, so there are two things here:

1. The abiliity for a single quiz to compute several different final grades for different aspects of what is being assessed. That is something that has been requested fairly frequently before. It is a good idea, but the hardest part if creating a good UI for teachers to configure it, without getting in the way of the 90% of teachers who don't want this. (or 90% of the times when you don't want it.)

2. Giving feedback based on an overall score, not an individual question. You can already do that, but at the moment there is only one overall score you can base it on.

So, as a short-term work-around, your idea of making a quiz report for this is probably as good as it gets.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Phil Dagap -

Thanks for clarifying this Tim.

Yes and I also want quite a pretty, statistically based ( bar and pie charts etc) output report to engage students. So this will need writing.

Any idea how / who I can get to help me write this? Or should I simply be looking wider to any reports writer who works with mysql db's?

Much appreciated,

Phil

In reply to Phil Dagap

by Tim Hunt -

You will almost certainly be better off with a developer who knows Moodle. Try a Moodle partner (Catalyst IT or Remote Learner both do development and have UK offices) or there are various freelancers. The obvious choice there would be Jamie Pratt, who has done a long of quiz-related development. However, at the moment he is busy with a couple of development projects for the OU.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Phil Dagap -

Thanks! Your time to read and reply helpfully is appreciated.