What is a Wiki??

What is a Wiki??

by Karrie V -
Number of replies: 2

I am not clear on the WIKI format. Can someone please describe what it is and an actual example of how it can be used? If at all possible I would LOVE to have access to see one in action. I am a visual learner.

Thanks a bunch!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karrie V

Re: What is a Wiki??

by Tony Hursh -
What is Wiki? smile

Moodle's internal wikis are for use within the context of a course. There are also public wikis. WikEd (operated by my research group) is specifically for education-related topics. Here's an example of how a public wiki can be used in a classroom situation.

The internal Moodle wikis are much the same, but you have tighter control on who can access and edit them.

In reply to Karrie V

Re: What is a Wiki??

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Karrie,
    A wiki is a web page that can be edited and changed by the users.  That means that your students not only read the page: they write the content, can add new pages, change them,construct the site.

To actually enter teh text you need a syntax, codes to say to the computer "this is a link", "this is bold". There are several wiki-syntaxes. Moodle offers several, Markdown is one. But you can use the regular HTML editor with Moodle wikis if you like.  So, the key point about wikis is that  they are user-editable, the wiki syntax is a minor point, an optional one.

- Enrique -