Is there a way to order glossary entries other than alphabetical?

Is there a way to order glossary entries other than alphabetical?

by Brent Eaton -
Number of replies: 8
I want to create a resource that would list, in Bible book, chapter, and verse order all of the Bible references used in a Bible study course.  The glossary seems perfect, but I cannot see how to re-order each entry other than alphabetical.  Any other options?

Thanks!

Brent
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brent Eaton

Re: Is there a way to order glossary entries other than alphabetical?

by Ray Lawrence -
Category, date, author. Have a look here, you should have similar tabs in your Moodle.

Ray
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Brent Eaton -
Ray,

Thanks for the suggestion, but even those are still in alphabetical order.

What I need is to specify an order, like:

"Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, ... 1 Chronicles"
          and not
"1 Chronicles, Exodus, Genesis, Leviticus"
In reply to Brent Eaton

by Ray Lawrence -
Oops, sorry. I thought that might have been rather too obvious when I posted. I'm sure someone around here will have a solution which hacks some code. However, a short term fix might be to simply number them so that the sort appropriately ( I recognise that's far from ideal).

Ray
In reply to Brent Eaton

by David Scotson -
You could probably fake this by adding the number of the book before the name. It would probably get ugly though as you'd need to use leading zero's to ensure correct sort order in the chapter and verse numbers too.

It's probably a general feature request, after all if you're using the Glossary to hold people's names you'd want all the Smiths together rather than sort on the first letter of their first name. If you are sorting book, album or film titles you probably want to ignore 'The' (and possibly 'A') to make things easier to find. So perhaps there should be an optional sort order field for Glossary entries?
In reply to David Scotson

by N Hansen -
I'd like to see something like this too, as the glossary will not work for several applications I would like to use it for unless I can specify the sort order. For example, the hieroglyphic alphabet is not A-Z but has its own special order. And the sign list of Egyptian hieroglyphs is organized A-Z, but there is no category J and there is another category after Z called AA.
In reply to Brent Eaton

by N Hansen -
Can someone actually tell us where the alphabet is determined? I seem to recall there being a file (perhaps language) somewhere that does this but I can't seem to find it now?