List Assignments Submitted by A particular student in One Place

List Assignments Submitted by A particular student in One Place

by Warren Linds -
Number of replies: 17

Moodle 2.3. I want to be able to glance at any student and see what assignments they have submitted. I have a lot of assignments in a year long course and often students will upload their assignment to the wrong place and it takes a long time to find them. In addition,at the end of the year, I want to be able to see what assignments are missing from which student. This should be an easy thing for moodle to do but am unable to see this function anywhere.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Warren Linds

Re: List Assignments Submitted by A particular student in One Place

by Warren Linds -

Doesn't anyone have any ideas about solving my problem? Aren't moodle developers interested in serving the needs identified by users?

In reply to Warren Linds

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As far as I am aware thats not a function Moodle provides directly. But it is information that is stored in the database - at least what HAS been submitted is. To find out what hasn't may be more complex - particularly if some of the assignments are set for groups or are conditional so that students enrolled on a course may not have to do all the assignments contained in that course.

You could either look at doing a direct query from the database, or installing the 'configurable reports' plugin and creating a query through that front end. Its very powerful allowing queries to be created with no SQL knowledge, or using full sql queries.

And yes - developers both at HQ and in the community are VERY interested in making Moodle better, as well as helping individuals with 'edge-case' solutions (I am not suggesting your situation is one of these, just pointing out what people here provide help with!). So if no-one is able to solve your problem quickly, or if you think its a feature that should be in core, then its worth adding an improvement request to the Moodle Tracker and then asking for people to vote on the issue.

HTH

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Warren Linds -

Who can do a direct query to a database? Does it have to be an administrator or is this possible by a faculty member? I don't want to have to constantly contact adminsration to do a simple query about student assignments! (I don't mind just seeing what each student has submitted; its not necessary to know what they haven't.)

Sorry about my frustration. I didn't see any replies and I simply wanted to know if the capability I was asking for was available in moodle 2.3 and I didn;'t know it was there. I thought my need was something simple enough that moodle would do it.

In reply to Warren Linds

by ben reynolds -

Warren,

Have you tried the reports in the course?

Left side navbar > participants > click on a participant's name > left side navbar click on Activity reports > try Complete report or Outline report.

Do those work for you?

If you know SQL querying (I don't), there a couple of adhoc report plugins that are very powerful, one by Tim Hunt. Don't remember the name of the other. These allow anyone with permission to access the plugin in a course (teacher, etc) to run a query and see the results.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Warren Linds -

Thanks for your help Ben.

1. There is nothing called "Participants" on the left side navbar. There is "Users" and a dropdown menu where there is "Enrolled Users".

2.I cannot then click on a User's name, only can click on the photo, or where the photo is supposed to be.

3. Then I go to the particular student. There is nothing on the navbar there saying "Activity Reports", nor therefore anything saying Complete or Outline Report.

In what version of Moodle are you assuming I see these things. As I wrote, I am in Moodle 2.3 and no such things appear before me. If they are supposed to appear in Moodle 2.3 let me know and I will ask the administrators to enable it.

Thanks.

In reply to Warren Linds

by ben reynolds -

Hi Warren,

This is so odd I don't even know how to respond. Your view is flumoxxing.

I'm going to invoke Mary Cooch, who is @Moodlefairy and also ask if you are comfortable letting someone from outside your Moodle have a peek into your Moodle. If so, use UsingMoodle to PM either Mary (who is much bettter at this) or me  with your login info.

It may be that your particular theme substitutes "users" for "participants." I do not know enough about themes to easily identify a theme that might do that.

I'm in Baltimore. I'm about to -- finally -- eat dinner.

If you haven't resolved your problem in timely fashion, email me a nudge @ ben.reynolds@jhu.edu

I've been on the web so long that spammers also use my address, so, if you get an email from me and it looks suspicious, delete it. Look for a useful subject line. If you think it is bogus, it probably is.

L

In reply to ben reynolds

by Warren Linds -

Were your directions for moodle 2.3? (you didn't say whether they were, but I am assuming they were). I could send a printscreen of a page but am not sure what page would be most useful...is it the list of students page where there is only a clickable photo and not a clickable name? Is it the student page where supposedly I can generate Activity Reports? Or is there something in my setup that I should be changing, or might be only be able to be changed by the Administrators of our system?

Thanks.

In reply to Warren Linds

by ben reynolds -

Hi Warren,
The attached picture is of the left side navbar in Moodle 2.4, but the design has been essentially the same since Moodle 2.0. This is the main course page. In other words, the page you get when you go into a course, not when you first login to Moodle.

At this point, I've gone into the current course (Ben Test), clicked on participants, clicked on the name of a participant, clicked on activity reports.

I'm beginning to suspect that your role is administrator and that you are looking at the front page of the site where the left side navbar is labeled "Site Administration." There you WILL find a list of Users.

EDIT: OH! You are in the Course Administration navbar. That's where "Users" & "Enrolled users" are. Probably, with the Navigation bar collapsed. Look at the second picture in this post. You will find a little tab in the upper left corner of your screen that says "Navigation" sideways. Click on it. Then click on the triangle pointing to the right. This will expand the Nav bar. And then you are in business!

Attachment LeftsideNavBarCollapsedMoodle24.png
Attachment LeftsideNavbarMainCoursePageMoodle24.png
In reply to ben reynolds

by Warren Linds -

Ok We are part way there. I now found Reports-Complete /Outline Reports but that doesn't say what assignments have been handed in for each student.

To be clear about my request: I want to see in a student's record which assignments they handed in and where on the site; not when they might have clicked on the assignment to see directions etc. I find it amazing that this simple task isn't easy to do. In other words, it is comparatvely easy to see 'student activity' but not when they uploaded an assignment and where.

I appreciate your efforts, Ben and hope you or others can help out here.

In reply to Warren Linds

by ben reynolds -

Hi Warren,

Do you mean "where on the site" or "where in the course"? Moodle calls one complete Moodle a "site" and what I would call a "classroom" a "course."

In reply to ben reynolds

by Warren Linds -

Where in the class, ie. the one course students are taking.

In reply to Warren Linds

by ben reynolds -

The complete report will do that for each participant, but it will also include any other stuff like quizzes and forums.

In reply to Warren Linds

by Lesli Smith -

Hi, Warren.

There are a couple of strategies I've used to get at the info you are seeking, but you are right, it would be easier if there were a way to see a list of assignments submitted by one student whether they have been graded by you or not in 2.3; it will be easier in 2.4 to do this without all of the strategies so far suggested--just a couple of switches in conditional activities will do it.

Strategy 1: The Activities Block for tracking number of activities "submitted" in the course as a whole.  If you use the activities block (which is core and should be one of the blocks available to you without having to go to your admin), it will give you a list of all of the activities in your course, so when you click on "Assignments" it will tell you how many have been submitted.  If I had 104 students and only 97 showed in that column as submitted on or near the due date, I would then click on the 97 to find out who still had to submit an assignment.

Strategy 2: Tracking the students with multiple delinquent assignments.  The above strategy worked best when I was also in the classroom with students because then, if I had concerns based on one or two missing assignments, I could pull that student aside, make him or her log in right in front of me, and have the student look at the list of assignments with me.  From the student's point of view, the list will show when something was submitted or if something was submitted (and if it was late).  Now, back in the day of earlier Moodle versions, before someone figured out the conflict of interest here, it was also possible to log in as my students as an editing teacher.  Then I could look at that list for myself from the student's point of view if he/she was absent (which invariably happened a good percentage of the time) on the day I planned to nab her to talk about all of her missing assignments.

Strategy 3: Individual Student User Reports in the Gradebook.  Now that I'm online-only, and that login-as my students option isn't an easy option anymore, I tend to rely more on flipping through the user reports and doing periodic audits for missing assignments that way.  But again, only the work I have graded shows up in the user reports in the gradebook.  I'm on 2.3, too, for teaching.  In 2.4, the ability to set an assignment to trigger as "complete" upon submission of a file or of an online submission (not just on view or upon graded status) will make that global course view of who has submitted work and who hasn't a little easier to see in the activity completion report.

Lastly, I think you may have asked in some other thread how to see a global view of assignments that have submissions that still need to be graded.  Those will show up on your "My home" page view.  My school uses this page as the default home page, but yours may not.  It can be accessed through the Navigation block.

I hope at least one of these strategies gets you close to what you need.

Best,

Lesli

P.S. For others who have suggested the ad-hoc reports combined with the contributed reports block, these are both powerful tools for admins.  Warren is right, though, that these blocks (including the Ajax marking block) are all tool add-on strategies for versions through 2.3, meaning they need admin intervention to get them on a site and available to teachers.

In reply to Lesli Smith

by Warren Linds -

Thanks. Those are useful strategies. Strategy one I use but it is cumbersome as one has to go through every assignment to see who and who has not submitted.

Strategy Two is useful as long as strategy one is used.

Strategy three is good for graded assignments. I posted about a problem with the gradebook when downloading the grades as the titles of the assignments are all changed when downloaded, ie. First Reflection becomes Assignment First Reflection. I don't know why that does it and need to find out how to get it to revert to the correct title.

I found the home page information as well.

I still don't understand why whoever works on Moodle does not give faculty easy access to what each student has uploaded and where in a global view. Shouldn't it be fairly simple to do?

I will see about the Ajax marking block but I am not sure our admin is willing to put in add ons as they have just migrated us to 2.3 . Worth a try though I guess.

By the way, the genesis of this problem is that some of my students got confused and put assignments in the wrong places and I had to search high and wide for the place they put them in. If there was a global view of all assignments by all students, I could have solved the problem more easily rather than doing the manual work of going through every assignment list. Isn't technology supposed to lessen our work? lol

In reply to Warren Linds

by ben reynolds -

Now I'm going to tell a story on myself. I'm an admin in Moodle 1.9, and I tested Ajax Marking, but I could not get it to work. I could never see students or the assignments they owed.

3 or more years later, I was reviewing a Moodle book -- forthcoming from Michael de Raadt & Gavin Henrick -- and learned that admins don't see anything in the block because they are not teachers!

All of which is to say, Warren, that I think Ajax Marking is really what you want. Here are screen shots of what it does.

Ajax Marking Block

This block appears on your home page and in all your courses. What you see above are two courses, "Restore" and "RUL1-131A," listing all submissions that have not been graded by Assignment name. You click on the Assignment name, and you get the names of the students and the number of files submitted.

Next, you click on a student's name and a new window pops up, showing you that studen'ts submission. Feedback comments and Feedback files are below the bottom of this picture. You can literally grade the work without going into the course. And, because you only see what hasn't been graded, misplaced submissions can be easily detected.

Student submission in Ajax Marking popup

In reply to Warren Linds

by Russell Waldron -

Course completion was designed for this. 

In reply to Russell Waldron

by Warren Linds -

Thanks. Please elaborate on what this feature is and where I find it as a faculty member in 2.3. Or is this feature only available to our admin people? Thanks.