Submission Phase Expects all users from school, not course

Submission Phase Expects all users from school, not course

by Joe Teacher -
Number of replies: 9

I love the workshop, but I am having a hard time using it because for some reason each workshop expects all users from my school, not just those in my course. 

In other words, the expected submissions are ~1,000 rather than the 100 or so I have in my course. 

I have tried adjusting groups, but have not been successful.  I am still able to use the workshop by doing random allocation, but want to be able to grade assignments without looking through all 1000 students.

It would be ideal if I could just randomly assign myself submissions as well.  I tried changing my roll to a student, but this did not work.  Please help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joe Teacher

Re: Submission Phase Expects all users from school, not course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

How are your users enrolled into the course? This is a workshop in a course isn't it, and not on the front page? Are you using metacourses at all?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joe Teacher

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Mary aims well. I would also suspect there is something wrong with your roles setup. Maybe you have assigned the Student role globally to all your student users and you are using older Moodle version where the Workshop module does not take the enrolment status into the account yet.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Joe Teacher -

Thanks for your help!  I'm just a teacher and not a moodle admin.  I know we are using moodle 2.0+, likely 2.3.  Yes, this is a workshop in a course and I am the course creater.  (I had no idea you could have a workshop on the front page, cool!)

Students moodle accounts were created by our tech person and then I had my students enroll in my course - most of them self-enrollment using the enrollment key I made for the course. 

I did check that all students have the role of "student."  I am not familiar with meta courses - is there a way that a course creater can check that?  If not, what questions should I ask my moodle admin? 

Thanks!

In reply to Joe Teacher

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ok here are a few things to look at:

• When you go to Navigation>Participants, do you only see your students or do you see 1000 students from your school?
  • When you go to Settings>Course administration>Users>enrolment methods, which enrolment methods do you see enabled?
  • When you go to Settings>Users>other users, do you see any users there? (not sure that should make a difference but we are looking at all possibilities)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joe Teacher -

From within my course, I only see the students enrolled in my course (not the 1000...)

For enrollment, I see 1 manual enrollment (I think that's me, my account) and the rest are self-enrollment - just my students (not the whole school)

Other has 0 enrolled (and guest also has 0).  Those are the only enrollment options...

In reply to Joe Teacher

by Joe Teacher -

I just asked our moodle admin and we are using Moodle 2.2.6+ currently. 

In reply to Joe Teacher

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Right. In Moodle 2.2, the Workshop module does not take the enrolment status into account and it checks just the capability. So if your admin assigned the Student role at the system (site) level, all your school students are considered as potential participants in the Workshop.

This was fixed in Moodle 2.3. I guess your school will have to upgrade Moodle.

BTW assigning the Student role at other but the course context level has always been strongly discouraged. You may want to ask your admin to re-think such setup.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Joe Teacher -

Thanks!  That sounds like our issue. 

If we can't update to 2.3, is it possible to re-set the global roles without changing enrollment at the course level?  If so, what are the steps?

I'm pushing for the update, but that might be less likely...

In reply to Joe Teacher

by Mark Pearson -

Joe,

I think that this situation may be the result a common misconception by new moodle system admins. It's tempting to configure Moodle to emulate the roles that individuals have in the school. So a teacher logs in and gets the teacher role and a student the student role, right? But Moodle does not (and cannot) work that way. A Moodle 'teacher' is a user with the 'editingteacher' role within a course -- that user may be a Teacher in the school or she may in fact be a student depending upon circumstances. So once you as a user click on a course your role changes to the role which is assigned to you in that course (teacher, student or whatever). Thus there needs to be a 'neutral' role for any user account (apart from the moodle administrator) before a user enters a course. This role is called 'Authenticated User' and in 99% of all cases should be the default role in the Moodle system.

Here's what the Roles Settings documentation says:

Default role for all users

The default role for all users should normally be set to Authenticated user. If it is set to Student then the result is that all students are enrolled on all courses.

Note: The default role for all users should never be set to Guest.

Once this has been set site-wide (and the doc link above gives details of how to do this) all your student enrollment problems will go away. It's a bit mind bending at first but as you play with roles you'll find that they are marvellously flexible.

Clear as mud? smile

Mark

Average of ratings: Useful (1)