New 'Targets' question-type for Questionnaire module

New 'Targets' question-type for Questionnaire module

by John White -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all, but especially Joseph & Mike,

Today I've completed extensive work and testing of a new 'Targets' question-type for the Questionnaire module which is specially intended of Personal progress reviews, although it may have much wider uses. Many schools and colleges operate progress reviews in some form but as far as I can tell there is no module in Moodle that facilitates the workflow implications of this, without resorting to copy & paste, if the review is conducted for and by the student under the guidance of a tutor. Specifically this implies that target statements (answers) submitted in one response become targets to be assessed (questions) in the next. This cyclical flow of target setting - target addressing is exactly the point of suppying the Target question-type.

Today I have opened a new tracker issue at CONTRIB-4260 which contains a patch file for making these changes to the Questionnaire module. The patch file contains language edits in the file lang/en/questionnaire.php which would need translation for the patch to work in any other environment including en_us. I am also attaching an edited version of the documentation I've produced for this as a pdf, so that its possible for all to understand what is involved and what the Target question delivers. But as this is a large file it is available at CONTRIB-4260 rather than here. 

This question-type is switchable in a new Questionnaire Settings panel, and along with it is the option of permitting one other question, the Checkbox, to roll responses forward in a manner that would be intuitive to students. Only the Target type will roll forward answers into questions, but the Checkbox can be set (per question) to let answers roll from one response to another. The key image from the pdf is largely self-explanatory, except to emphasize that targets that are not met are automatcially rolled forward into the next round and added into the New targets without the need for copy & paste.

targets

I would greatly appreciate whatever comments you care to make about this development. Let me close by saying that I am ever-grateful for the work done on the Questionnaire module by its writers and maintainers; I appreciate too the support Ravensbourne, London has given to this new development.

Regards,

John

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John White

Re: New 'Targets' question-type for Questionnaire module

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks for this interesting development, John. I will promptly test it and report in the tracker at CONTRIB-4260.

Joseph