DropBox asking to login repeatedly

DropBox asking to login repeatedly

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I had DropBox repository configured on Moodle 2.4.3+ (20130405) closely following http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Dropbox_repository, including creating the app and getting those "secrets". Today I started the whole thing again with a fresh DropBox account. Once I come to Add (FilePicker) -> DropBox -> "Click login button to login" -> Pop up "The App xxxx wants to connect" -> Allow, it falls back to "Click login button to login". The server is LAMP Debian "Squeeze".

Tried both Iceweasel and Chromium on Debian Linux (same clients as last time). Upgraded Moodle to 2.4.3+ build 20130411, still the same situation.

A collegue who had DropBox configured in his Moodle 2.2, a VPS running CentOS, now has the same problem. He added my DropBox account to his site and now getting the login popup repeatedly. The client is Ubuntu with Firefox (the same as last time).

Either something has changed in the DropBox service or something is wrong with the fresh DropBox account or I'm doing something wrong. The problem can't be in the server, nor in Moodle as such, the clients are clean too.

Before going through it again, this is to check whether I'm missing something.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: DropBox asking to login repeatedly

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Hi Visvanath,

just checked on a Moodle 2.2.9+ (Build: 20130328) test site with Dropbox repository configured some months ago. Using a site admin account I found no issues when requesting file from Dropbox using filepicker, resources are visualized correctly and no login form pops up. Server where I did the test is LAMP running Debian "Squeeze".
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

Hi Andrea

Thanks for confirming!

Then the problem must be in my fresh DropBox account. I'll go through it again.

May be I'm trying the wrong thing.

My "App Info" in Dropbox, https://www.dropbox.com/developers/app_info/XXXXXX still has the App status Development. "Apply for production status" pops up: "Please test this app. There are no users linked to this app. Please test this app's API integration with your dropbox@example.com account before applying for production status."

Therefore once the File picker brings the Dropbox login page I login as dropbox@example.com. It takes a long time to brings the second screen, "allow access". Once accept that, the pop up shows my Dropbox files but clicking on one _opens_ the file. The "Log in" button in the File picker remains.

I also tried another Dropbox account, without success.
Attachment dropbox.png

> My "App Info" in Dropbox, https://www.dropbox.com/developers/app_info/XXXXXX still has the App status Development.

Must be the problem. I went through http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Google_OAuth_2.0_setup which is pretty much similar to the DropBox and I'm able to get my files from GoogleDoc into (the same) Moodle.

Why it doesn't work in DropBox?

P.S. In connecting to GoogleDocs I noticed that there is no choice between Copy or Alias. The file in Moodle is always a copy. Is that right?

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Visvanath,

checked inside our Dropbox account for Moodle, app Type is "Full Dropbox" and Status "Development"

About GoogeDocs, I've not tested recently, however for what I recall the option was only to copy files.

In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

Hi Andrea

Thanks for the information, specially about the "Development" status.

This is driving me nuts. So far I have been trying to login as the same DropBox for the Moodle site (dropbox@example.com). When I try a different user the web interface shows the files but there is a message, "During the development of the app only a limited number of users get access tokens." (translated).

Does that give some clue?

by Michael de Raadt -

An issue has been reported about this... MDL-39203

In reply to Michael de Raadt

Hi Michael

What a relief!

I can't believe that it struck right between the two point releases I was testing and shattered a Moodle Showcase I had today morning.
sad

But the good news is that, this seems to be a high profile bug and gone within hours. Now the question is what, "Blooming Marvelous! It's time for a knees up - your changes are upstream!" means. Have the changes gone to my branch which originated with 'git clone -b MOODLE_24_STABLE git://git.moodle.org/moodle.git' or do I need the "head" (no branch option)?

by Dan Poltawski -

Yes, its fixed on 2.4 and all supported branches (2.2.x, 2.3.x, 2.4.x and soon to be 2.5.x).