Filter = "Requires grading" not working

Filter = "Requires grading" not working

by David Woods -
Number of replies: 8

Moodle 2.3

In the assignment grading table ('submission inbox'), one can apply a filter to show just the records for students who have submitted assignments, or just those whose assignments have not yet been graded ('requires grading'). However, when I choose to display only those that require grading, some that require grading are not listed. When I remove the filter, I can confirm that their grades are null, as shown by the hyphen in the grade column.

What is going wrong here? Why are some ungraded assignments not shown when I opt to show only those that require grading?

PS: The problem is not multiple pages of the table (the 'Assignments per page' setting.)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Woods

Re: Filter = "Requires grading" not working

by ben reynolds -

If you require students to click the "submit" button, they probably haven't clicked the submit button.

In reply to ben reynolds

by David Woods -

No, we don't require students to click submit because that requires at least two extra steps (submit; confirm) on their part which they often don't do.

In reply to David Woods

by ben reynolds -

I haven't seen this in 2.3 or 2.4, but are the ones that don't show up when you filter marked "Submitted for grading Graded" in the status? If so, an instructor type person has somehow touched the student's work.

We saw this in 2.2 where instructors would post "late work" in the feedback comments, which was taken to be a grade.

In reply to ben reynolds

by David Woods -

Thanks Ben. It seems that when a submission is locked, it is also flagged by Moodle as graded (or at least it no longer requires grading). That's a pity. Logically, a submission should be flagged as graded when the grade changes from null to a value, should it not? Unfortunately unlocking it does not reverse the status/flag setting.

In reply to David Woods

by ben reynolds -

The lock is done via the gradebook, right? So, lock basically says, retain the state of this grade, which means it isn't going to signal a human to do anything, like give a grade.

I find the lock annoying. We aren't big graders in my part of this outfit, but at least one of my people did a quick grade in an assignment on all the students when half the students hadn't submitted anything. This locked the grades for all and prevented further submissions.

In reply to ben reynolds

by David Woods -

No. We disable quick grading because graders usually attach feedback/response files. I was referring to the 'grading' page which contains a table listing each student with his/her submission(s). In the Edit column one can 'Prevent submission changes' which seems to be the same as selecting a record and 'With selected' (below the table) choosing 'Lock submissions' > Go.

This lock is different from locking the grades in the gradebook.

In reply to David Woods

by ben reynolds -

Oh, I hadn't thought about disabling quick grading. How do you do that?

In reply to ben reynolds

by David Woods -

Settings > Course administration > Grades. In the grader report, look for the right-most tab called "My preferences" and set Quick grading to "No". QED!