Ideas needed for improving the forum settings page

Ideas needed for improving the forum settings page

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Dear forum activity users,

You may have a heard elsewhere about a new feature coming in Moodle 2.5 - collapsible forms. You can see them in action on the QA testing site.

Consequently, many of the activity settings pages now need some reorganising in order to make the most of this new functionality.

For the forum, I've come up with a few ideas in MDL-38597. Has anyone else any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Ideas needed for improving the forum settings page

by Paula Clough -

Helen,

I don't see the group settings or the completion/restriction settings in the tracker.  Am I correct in assuming that they will be included?

Thanks,

Paula cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Paula Clough -

Sorry, I was interupted ... I meant to say ... Am I correct in assuming that htey will be included in the colapsed sections?

Paula cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Paula,

You are correct - the forum settings will include Restrict access and Activity completion (if enabled), also Grade, Ratings, Common module settings and Outcomes (if enabled). You can see all the collapsed sections on the QA testing site if you login as a teacher and edit http://qa.moodle.net/mod/forum/view.php?id=21.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Dan Poltawski -
I would prefer only:

Forum name
Description
Display description on course page
Forum type

In the general section to draw attention to the fundamentals first and then group the rest in different collapsed sections. (But I don't teach with Moodle)
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Dan Poltawski -

Just took two screenshots to show how it I think it makes the options seem less daunting (to me).

Attachment Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 14.18.05.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 14.18.54.png

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I agree  with collapsing everything. As a forum is one of the first things you learn to do , it's very offputting when you have even a few things (like "read tracking" that you might not instantly understand) I would definitely go for collapsing everything - I personally would find it better to  then point out  where to enable or tweak certain features such as word count/number of attachments rather than have a long, as Dan says, daunting list. The number of times I have told teachers to "just type in a name and description and ignore the rest"...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Hi Dan,

while the interface looks sensible to me in the way it is developing, there is something I not understand very well, and it is the "+ Show more" link. Probably I missed some discussions about (apologize for that) , however if a user expand a group of settings, that's probably because he want to look at the settings contained within. What is the need to request users click once more on the "Show more" link ?
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Helen Foster -

Hi Andrea,

The Show more link is for showing settings which were previously considered as 'Advanced' settings in Moodle 2.4 and earlier.  As we are able to collapse sections in Moodle 2.5, as you point out, there seems no point in making users click a Show more link. Thus, for most settings pages, when we improve them to make the most of collapsed sections, we're also removing the 'Advanced' setting distinction. However, there is some discussion about having Show more links in activities such as the Quiz, where an admin can specify settings which are not used much on their site as advanced.

by Frédéric Massart ⭐ -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

My +1 for a simplified form with only a very few parameters visible. However, I don't think "Forum Options" is the right name for the newly created section, this does not represent anything and as a user you will have to expand this section to see what's inside, and that's where you lose the purpose of simplifying the form. I also dislike the "Show more/less", especially in the General section.

Unfortunately I can't think of any name for the new section, but I'm trying to prevent "Options", "Settings" or "Miscellaneous" as if we allow them, we'll quickly end up with those sections everywhere.

In reply to Frédéric Massart ⭐

by Dan Poltawski -

However, I don't think "Forum Options" is the right name for the newly created section,

Neither do I, I just did that to demonstrate the less visible options, wasn't a suggested name,

In reply to Helen Foster

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Mary, I like the collaped headings.  It is becoming common with "Collapsed Topics", and the forthcoming "Quiz" changes.

I have made this suggestion in several places.  If anyone likes it, please vote for it (MDL-31355).

The Moodle Forums remain disconnected to the Calendar, and the priority of getting it connected needs to be raised!

In Moodle's 2.4 Assignments, there is now a "Cut-off date". The solution for Forums now becomes clear. The same "Cut-off date" method should be implemented for Forums, and this is how. The Forum's "Due Date" should show in the Calendar. The Forum's "Cut-off Date" should turn the rating feature off (which is what the current Due Date does). I believe that this logic provides a consistent logic with Assignments.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Helen Foster -

Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments. smile After further discussion in MDL-38597, we've arrived at the following solution. Hopefully everyone is happy with this in Moodle 2.5. If not, please say so now!

Attachment bonfire-screenshot-20130422-102032-296.png