Grrrrr. Trying to save resource files!!!!

Grrrrr. Trying to save resource files!!!!

by Darren Smith -
Number of replies: 10

OK, I know this is a browser issue but I has anyone found a solution?

This is what I have done:

• Added a lot of files into the course files section
  • Linked to them on the course page by adding a resource

The problem: When a student clicks on the file it is opened in IE !!!

Student has to :

• Save the file in IE
  • Close the IE file down
  • Open the file either directly or

The solution:

• Is there a way of changing all of our workstations (XP, 2000, NT) to force a Save / Open dialogue
  • Include a link so you can right click on it (see naff disk mock up below)

This is causing a lot of problems for some of our lesser skilled pupils / teachers.

Attachment disk.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Darren Smith

Re: Grrrrr. Trying to save resource files!!!!

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well, there used to be a link, but I removed it in Moodle 1.5 due to claims it was confusing!

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=19228#91397

But frankly, this is a browser issue. IE's embedding of Office causes lots of problems. Switch to Firefox.

If we add an option to change the mime type this will probably cause other problems. I don't want to see disk icons all over the course page either.

To force a download you could zip up all the files in one package for them.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Darren Smith -

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I do use firefox which is why this has only come to light now but firefox has it's problems as well. Hmmm ..... hundreds of files all of the place - zipping not an option.

I see what you mean about the link you removed. In this case it wouldn't show anyway (would it?) as they are forced to be opened in a new window. Also I see what you mean about disk icons all over the place also.

Anyway, I've had an idea surprise

The icon image (to the left of the resource name) is unused other than for display purposes thoughtful. How about changing that into a link to the file so you can right click the existing icon (pdf, excel, etc) and save that to the local machine. Now that is a good idea isn't it !!!!! tongueout

In reply to Darren Smith

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Darren,

If you decide you want to change the mime types then please check Linked files "save as" instead of open in window
In reply to Helen Foster

by Darren Smith -
THANK YOU FOR THAT LINK big grin

I have been an admirer of your moodling for a while now - and how can I not be with a name like yours. Just like the title of the thread ... Grrrrr wink

I will test it tomorrow properly. Does anyone have a URL which provides a list of mime types? I'm thinking powerpoint and so on. Actually, I have no idea what mime types are! I remember seeing reference to them as as attachments or newsgroup posts way back in the mid 90s with turnpike and demon (those were the days). No need to post > i will look into this and report my findings approve

Anyway, the first thought would be1.5 compatibility??

Secondly, this isgreat for a local install (THANK YOU AGAIN) but if M says no for moodle for technical reasons then that's good enough for me.

I teach the little kids about right clicking to save from the web but I'm afraid 'What you have actually saved is a PHP/HTML file little Billy' is a bit of a lost cause.

Thanks again WG, but it does seem like there is a need for a direct save option so does anybody else feel a right click on the icon would be a good idea?

In reply to Darren Smith

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Does anyone have a URL which provides a list of mime types?

http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/mime-types.shtml

Anyway, the first thought would be 1.5 compatibility??

I wouldn't expect any problem if you amend file.php in 1.5 (I'll check this out tomorrow if I have chance!)

I have been an admirer of your moodling for a while now - and how can I not be with a name like yours.

blush ... actually, I'm an admirer of yours! approve

In reply to Helen Foster

by Ray Lawrence -
In reply to Ray Lawrence

Purr. Trying to save resource files!!!!

by Helen Foster -
A kitten would be sweet...
Attachment kitten_and_mouse.jpg
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Purr. Trying to save resource files!!!!

by Darren Smith -

Hey, I saw that !!! .... we both know that wasn't the original imgage wink

Actually cats make me sneeze sad

'night

In reply to Helen Foster

by Darren Smith -

Schwing !

(That's a response to WG .... not Ray surprise)

In reply to Darren Smith

by Michael Penney -
Is there a way of changing all of our workstations (XP, 2000, NT) to force a Save / Open dialogue

Well, with IE 6 (XP2), Internet Options/Security Settings/Custom Level, you can enable Automatic Prompt for File downloads.

For IE 5 (Win2k), if you disable file download, then re-enable it, it should start asking if you'd like to open or save the file again (if you uncheck "Always ask..." it will stop asking).