Add notifications/triggers functionality to Attendance module

Add notifications/triggers functionality to Attendance module

by Keith Landa -
Number of replies: 3

It would be very useful to be able to tie conditions in the Attendance module to the Moodle messaging system, to automate notices to students based on attendance data.  For example, to send a pre-defined message to a student if she/he has two absences recorded for the course.

From a user interface perspective, I would see a Notifications tab added after the Reports tab in the instructor view of the module.  The Notifications tab would allow an instructor to define notifications for the specific course -> what are the criteria (e.g. number of absences) and what is the message text to be sent out as a notification when a student hits that criterion.  The Notifications tab would allow multiple notifications to be set up for a course, for example, a warning message when a student accumulates 2 absences and a notice of failing the course when 5 absences have accumulated.

I initially thought this might have to be a Cron job, but it probably makes more sense to just have it triggered when an instructor submits a session's attendance data.  Submitting attendance data for a class session could cause the module to check to see if any students have hit the criterion for a notification, and send the defined message for that notification out to the student.  The data tables for the module would have to keep track of which students have received which nofications, so that a student with eg, 2 absences only gets the warning notification once, and not every time thereafter that the instructor submits attendance data for later class sessions.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Keith Landa

Re: Add notifications/triggers functionality to Attendance module

by Moodle Admin -

Definitely agree with you Keith, it's very important to have notifications triggered in the module, otherwise it doesn't really make any sense to collect all this data if one is not able to manage them unless they spend a lot of time. Is there anyone working on this plugin? It's very useful and would be great to see any new features in the future. When I feel confident enough to start developing in Moodle, I'll be more than happy to contribute.

In reply to Moodle Admin

by Henry Herrick -

That would be such a great feature to have. We have just purchased Starfish retentions solutions software something I am not totally sold on. My view was that with Moodle the same results could be achieved but with as you said more time. I also argued that in time Moodle may have some of the same flagging abilities and features and be able to present them in a more teacher, administrator  minded manor.

I hope this feature, idea is something that gets off the ground because it would be so great for a small college like ours or for that manor any institution.

In reply to Moodle Admin

by Keith Landa -

We have made some progress on developing a modification to the Attendance module to include these notifications.  We have the user interface additions set, but our developer is having some issues with how the attendance data is stored in the module tables to work out the notifications check most efficiently.  We hope to have something to share back to the community shortly.