Submit Page Button at bottom of Adaptive Quiz Gone

Submit Page Button at bottom of Adaptive Quiz Gone

by Nathan Hammond -
Number of replies: 1

In moodle 2 (any version...I'm currently using 2.4+) the submit page button in an adaptive quiz is gone. This button allowed students to fill in all the answers on a page and then submit the page for adaptive feedback instead of one question at a time.

I'm sure this has been discussed but my searches didn't yield the right threads).

a) Can this feature be brought back?

b) Where do I find the thread that discussed this (so I can read up on it)?

c) Is there a feature request for this type of thing that I can vote on?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathan Hammond

Re: Submit Page Button at bottom of Adaptive Quiz Gone

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That button was removed as part of the quiz navigation changes in Moodle 2.0, which was MDL-15452 and sub-tasks.

I don't remember exactly what discussion there was about that (in 2008). The key discussions to look for are all the ones before that about students getting confused by the proliferation of buttons at the end of each page of the quiz, and accidentally clicking the wrong one.

Then, in Moodle 2.1, the new question engine (MDL-20636) changed things in a way that makes it harder to bring bach the submit all button.

There is a good pedagogic reason for preferring an individual submit button on each question (ideally with one question per page). It is a good idea if students engage with one question at a time, trying to get it wring, and if wrong, engaging with the feedback and then having another try. Then they move on to the next question/idea. There are contexts in which what you want is better, but I think they are less common.

But, to answer your questions:

a) Yes, you could bring this back, if you are preapared to modify the code in mod/quiz/renderer.php to display the button (if the quiz is using an applicable question behaviour), and in mod/quiz/processattempt.php to to handle when the button is clicked (which requires a bit of understanding of the internals of the question engine).

b) See the issue numbers given above.

c) There isn't a feature request for re-instating this button. That you are the first person to ask for it since Moodle 2.0 was release in November 2010 should give you pause for thought before creating such an issue. Basically there is no point creating such an issue until you have a significan number of people in this forum arguing that it is a good idea. I think it would be a bad idea, and so would be likely to close such an issue as Won't-fix unless I have already seem several people arguing inteligently for it.