Embedding Video in Site News Post

Embedding Video in Site News Post

by Kelly Becker -
Number of replies: 4

Hi!

I am attempting to add a video to a post in the Site News.  This is what I am doing:

1) Go to Site News.

2) Add post.

3) Enter text in the tinyMCE editor.

4) Click HTML to add embed code.

5) Save Changes.

I see the video in the editor as expected when I save the changes but when I attempt to see the video in the post, it is not there.  When I return to edit the HTML, the code has been stripped.

Is it possible to add video to Site News posts or is it programmed to strip this content?  Am I doing something wrong?  I am able to successfully add video everywhere else that I see a tinyMCE editor.

Thank you!!!

Kelly

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kelly Becker

Re: Embedding Video in Site News Post

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What type of video file is it? I know there have been issues with swf files not playing in forums. See  #3 of Media FAQ

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kelly Becker -

I am just going to YouTube and using the embed HTML code. Ironically enough it is a video about embedding YouTube video in Moodle.  Here is the code:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1S7rw45rkMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I go to my Site News Post.  I follow these steps:

1.  I select Edit.

2.  I select HTML from the tinyMCE editor menu.

3.  I paste in the HTML embed code from YouTube (above).

4.  I select Update.  It returns me to the main edit Post area where I can see the video in the tinyMCE window.

5.  I select SAVE CHANGES.

6.  I receive a "The post was updated" message.

7.  When I look at the post...no video.  When I look at the code...no code.  It has been removed (or not saved???).  Either way....it's not there.

I have videos in labels, activities and resources throughout my courses.  This is the only place (in Site News Forum) that I seem to be unable to add a video.

Help!!

Thank you!!

Kelly

In reply to Kelly Becker

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Can you find the bit in youtube that says "use old embed code" (if they still have it) That might work. Or can you use the Moodle media icon and search for it from there?

In reply to Kelly Becker

by Jon Fila -

I think that embedding is disabled in Forums. If you have the filter turned on to automatically embed YouTube videos you can embed a link to the video (not the embed code) and it should automatically embed it for you. This will only work with YouTube though. It's been awhile since I messed with that.